Pieta by Kevin Young – I found this poem by chance while going through the Poetry Foundation website. What struck me was how the lines were spaced apart. It felt choppy at first, but not in a bad way. I usually like poems that have a certain flow to them. The author talks about a boy who lost his father and searched for him. The way Young talks about death was intriguing. He sounds as if he has given up.

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost – I’ve known this poem since I graduated middle school. I had to memorize it for graduation. That was the only reason I cared about it. Looking at it now though, I can appreciate Frost’s contemplation on the decisions he made in the past, and the acceptance of the path he chose. I think it’s something a lot of people tend to do: look at the past and wonder whether they made the right choices.

The Great Fires by Jack Gilbert – I like this poem because of how Gilbert describes love as something fueled by many other factors. There is no one particular cause. It all comes together to form something unique and beautiful.