ENG1141 Creative Writing, FA2020

active 2 days, 10 hours ago
ENG1141 Creative Writing, FA2020
English
1141

All writing is creative, including the writing you do for school, internet posts to social media, and text/email messages. Where there was a blank page–virtual or otherwise–and you fill it with your words, you have, in fact, drawn on your intellectual resources to create patterns of meaning with those words.

“Creative writing,” however, generally refers to poetry, fiction, drama, and some forms of non-fiction–memoirs and narratives that use the techniques of story-telling.

We will focus on understanding how form and meaning work together and on understanding the types and complexities of each genre–notably, fiction, non-fiction, poetry, drama, and cross-genres–so each student can begin to develop their unique, individual voice.

This course may be cloned by logged-in faculty.

Week 5

Monday, 9/21 - Friday, 9/25   By end-of-day Monday, 9/21, the following activities are DUE […] See MoreWeek 5

Week 5: Discussion of Characterization in Memoir (or other genres)

So, let's talk about CHARACTER and how a writer shows it! I'll start with a quote: When I […] See MoreWeek 5: Discussion of Characterization in Memoir (or other genres)

Malik Lee Memoir

Malik Lee  ENG 1141 September 17, 2020 Memoir #2 Bullying does not always have to be […] See MoreMalik Lee Memoir

I completely agree with you Parikshit, I also believed that this story had many plot twists. Her […] See More

It can be either--it really depends on the genre and the author's intention. Obviously the […] See More

Oh, certainly the emotions and consequences are always factors in plot! I'd say stories have the […] See More

Truth & Beauty

I really enjoy chapter 1 of “Truth & Beauty” by Ann Patchett, the way she describes Lucy, although she was sick, after multitude surgeries, she did not stop being happy. Lucy was smart arrogant, she became more comfortable to live her […] See MoreTruth & Beauty