Growing up in New York City is definitely tuff, and you must have a strong mindset to overcome the peer pressures. I also find myself moving from Guyana to New York City adapting to the culture evening harder.  Throughout my grade school I was told by my teacher I would not make it in college, and another teacher laughing at me of my financial goals. However, the most important past event that changed my life is passing the Police Department sergeant’s exam being list number the low 900 out 2677. Passing this exam build my confidences, proves that you can accomplish anything in life with the right mental capacity and even brought me more happiness in my life.

The Police Department sergeant’s exam is one of the toughest exams out there that someone has to take. This exam you have to study 1000 pages of material in an 8-month period. This exam is also considering to harder than the NYS bar exam. There are police officers in our department that are well educated with master degree with GPA higher than 3.5, but they still cannot pass the sergeant’s exam. If you don’t put the time in studying, you will not pass this exam.

Making sacrifices, be dedicated and put all the negatively aside will guarantee a passing grade. I studied a year for this exam 7 days a week for at least an hour a day, but 8 months before the exam I was study 3 to 4 hours a day. When it came down to 3 months, I even kicked it up to 6 hours a day. The hardest part of studying was finding time to actually study and working full time. Every day during my lunch break I made sure I find the quietest place to study where no one will interrupt during my hour lunch break. Also, on my down time at work I made sure the only application I opened on my phone was study materials. Even on vacation I made time to study. I would wake up 4 to 5 am, and escape to the hotel lobby to get at least 4 to 5 hours before my family wakes up. I remember going clothes shopping with my family, and I had a studying material in my hand reading while my wife was going through the clothes. Studying for this exam was definitely hard on my family, but they were understanding was able to put aside me not being there mentally.

The reason I made this decision on passing this exam was dealing with the internal stress of the department. Every working day I find myself making a plan A or plan B with my wife, if I don’t get home in time. It can be a random day, and I find myself working a double or even more than 24 hours straight. Also, I felt I had to get promoted in the department to avoid conflict with my supervisors because if disagree will an issue I will give my feedback which might not be liked by my supervisors. This was definitely a motivation for me to become a supervisor in the police department because I do not see myself being a police officer for 25 years dealing with the internal stress of the department.

Passing the Police Department sergeant’s exam was something I took pride in because I was told multiple times by my co-workers that you will not pass it on your first attempt. Not only did I pass it, but I was the highest throughout my command. Passing the exam gives me more time with my family. I do not find myself staying more than 2 hours after my shift unless there is some catastrophic-events going on throughout the city. Passing this exam also gave me the mindset that I can accomplish anything that I put my mind to. Now, it’s time to build myself up mentally for the next exam to become a lieutenant on this job.