Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

ENG1141

Creative Writing

Formal Critique

Reviewerā€™s Name: Adama Barro

Title of Piece: Pendeja, You Ainā€™t Steinbeck: My Bronca with Fake-Ass Social Justice Literature

Authorā€™s Name: Myriam Gurba

Plot:

I like Myriam Gurba approche, how she puts reality and facts in her writing,she is very straight forward with her opinion .

Gurba made sure to mention Jeanine Cummins’ lack of knowledge or sympathie to Mexican and they culture, 

Characters:

Gurba is proud to mention her heritage, coming from a grandfather who was a publicist .

Point of view:

Myriam Gurba is very frustrated with how American think of Mexican, from the president to the media. She believes that Cummin is so ignorant of Mexican heritage that she addresses the Mexican as ā€œthose peopleā€, she is against inequality and social injustice.

Question:

Why use this kind of aggressive language to express your opinion?

How are you dealing with being a victim of sexual assault ?

Why don’t you write a book to educate people about the real Mexico?

1. Leviza Murtazayeva

Hey Adama, I agree with most of your statements, they really fell in to a deep understanding where the reviewer was coming her and what was her main approach to the social classes. I would ask the same question about educating people for what is right thing for them to do, but there is a lot of judgement upon them, when they do things they are usually used to.

2. Angelica Hernandez

Hi Adama ,nice critique! I agree with what you said about Gurba being straight forward I think its what made her article so interesting and its good not to hold back on something you belive in or are educated about. Cummins is wrong for what she said and inserting herself into a group she isn’t apart of.

3. Account Deleted

Hi Adama, I really enjoyed reading your critique especially the part where you mentioned about the plot. Gurba indeed is really straightforward and she expresses her feelings without any hesitation. She indeed really stands for Mexican people.

4. Marina Malak

Hi Adama,
    I agree with your point of view critique; Gurba’s piece is definitely against social injustice and the passive yet strong effect on people that is made by Cummins and others like her. when Cummins talks or write about Mexicans in complete ignorance either real or by choice, it creates tension and socially unjust ideas between her readers and the Mexican Americans.

5. Saja Musa

Adam, great response. I too believe that the authors point of view demonstrates how upset she is with the tags the American media places in her people. She uses her point of view to demonstrate that she is an educated woman, along with her publicist grandfather, and is very much capable of pointing out the flaws in the American society such as the sexual assault that Mexicans encounter on the American soil. She uses her pint of view to tell her side of the story which is one that dismisses the generalization of Mexicans as poor and euneducated.

6. Mamadou

I didn’t really think that Gurba did too much with her characters, besides putting a clear picture of ignorance on the author of dirt. Her grandfather did have a very big impact on her and that is apparent in her piece.