Ethan Mau
10/22/2020
Prof Penner
ENG 1121

Source: https://www.noaa.gov/education/resource-collections/climate/climate-change-impacts?fbclid=IwAR3oku3Wj-twyxSjrHbvsoy4EPPNQOKigD6c308DvQW0QOEpCrAkeKtleXk

Summary: This article quickly summarizes the majority of the impacts that climate change would have. From the economy to basic life necessities it addresses it all. This article talks about how easily this impacts human health, where humans are ridiculously sensitive to any sort of climate change, from heat stress and waterborne diseases, to poor air quality and higher infection rates from insects and rodents due to higher average temperatures. Climate change would also impact our food and water industries, where floods and water quality issues would greatly effect that necessary part of life. The food supply/industry would also heavily be effected due to animals not being able to survive long enough, it not being economically viable, and the whether extremes would provide challenges that would be difficult to overcome for a lot of farmers. Needless to say, the enviornment would heavily effected, ecosystems colasping from habitats being modified, to affecting marine life in such ways that the ocean becomes more acidic.

Reflection: I agree with this article 100%. It talks about a lot of things that the average person could see impacting themselves. From food and water being contaminated, to ecosystems collapsing. This is all a gradual change due to climate change being so slow and unassuming. Unaddressed in the article, I feel it would also heavily effect the economic situation of every country. Having to immediately push resources into something they were unprepared and uneducated for.

Quote:  Things that we depend upon and value — water, energy, transportation, wildlife, agriculture, ecosystems, and human health — are experiencing the effects of a changing climate.

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/effects-of-climate-change-2014-6?fbclid=IwAR3YhT4evLI9fL2IR0mCyrkHHK9g0blnECs4JiFQw1YNmU4nrczZQUKZmKA

Summary: Many of the already alarming statistics would become drastically many times worse. Some of which are already stated in the previous articles such as disease becoming a more common thing, and the economic catastrophe that this could cause. But some more specific statistics were brought in this article. An example would be how a team of scientists calculated that an additional 8% of the world population would enter a “water scarcity” state. Another alarming statistic from the National Climate Assessment found that hurricanes have been increasing in frequency, intensity, and duration since the 1980s, and this has been linked to being caused by climate change. This is because due to climate change essentially warming the ocean slowly but effectively, warmer waters make great fuel for hurricanes. Hurricanes tend to be self-limiting, size, and duration being estimated during the creation of the hurricane itself. But due to the warmer waters, it helps hurricanes gain higher intensities, higher frequencies, and longer durations. Another alarming statistic from Malcolm Bowman, and oceanography professor at StonyBrook, warned that four times as many new yorkers could live in areas that flood by 2050. This is the perfect example of how coastal cities are at extreme risk, which would cause a domino effect on the rest of the global community. Coastal cities make up a majority of the world’s most influencial economic hotspots. Hong Kong, New York City, California, UK. Seoul, all of these places are coastal cities that are major economic hotspots for the global community, and all of these cities would be heavily effected by climate change. Effectively “neutering” the world economy and flipping everything upside down.

Reflection: I agree 100% with everything that is stated in the article. I feel finding evidence on supporting climate change is easy, as I have found more than enough supporting evidence. I am afraid that I have some research bias. This is because I already know the answer I am looking for when researching this topic, so I notice I would gravitate more towards answers that support the idea I am looking for. I would like to see what proofs that climate change non-believers have. As trusted networks such as NASA, business insider, NOAA, etc. These are either government-funded companies or well-vetted sources that are all claiming that climate change is real and is happening now. I want to see how people reach the conclusion of climate change being a hoax, and how this would benefit the “higher-order”

Quote: “22 Devastating Effects of Climate Change”