Ethan Mau
9/20/2020
Prof. Penner
ENG 1121

From pondering for a few days to resolving the problem, I’ve decided to present the idea in the form of a letter. I believe this would be the most effective way to address the community I am attempting to reach out to, as well as be more effective in how I present my ideas. My discourse community is my high school friend group. The idea is more around how the specific personalities interact with each other, and what happens when people with contradicting ideas share those ideas.

Using this genre, I believe I can present the idea in both an intimate image of how I believe the personalities interact, and an accurate image of how the clash of personal beliefs affect how the people in my group interact. Intimate because this retelling of the events comes from the point of view of someone who is a member of the group, not someone who is viewing the group from an outside point of view. Accurate because the events I will be retelling events, I was separated from. Conflicts that I was not directly involved in, but got a first-person view into what happened.

My audience would be the very same people I would be talking about ( but not naming ) in the letter. This is something I feel would be very relevant to them, in the interest of learning about how someone might view them, and how that might impact someone else. I feel introspection once in a while is healthy, pondering about why they might feel a certain way towards a certain subject. As well as I feel I would be great for the position of the person who actually does speak to them about how the personalities might interact. There are several people in the group that I would consider not the type of person to introspect much.

I would introduce the subject matter, and for the body paragraphs, use several examples of how the conflicting ideas might affect how they view each other. I would also introduce somewhere there about how there is both negative and positive outcomes that result from the conflict of ideas.