Mahreen Munawar

ENG 1127

September 20, 2020

Word count: 349

I am choosing to write a speech because it reaches a wider audience. It has the power to motivate and inspire a larger group of people which is more effective rather than writing a letter to a person in the position of power who might not even take the time out of their schedule to look at it. It can also connect you to people who hold similar views or you can get a chance to educate someone who doesn’t know anything about your topic or hold a different view.

This specific genre will help me make my argument because it will be heard by a lot more people rather than one person who is in the position of power. My audience is people who are ignorant of the Muslim community and blame the entire community for a crime one person committed. Just like people do in every other race, religion, and community. These people might think of me as someone who is less knowledgeable because I belong to the Muslim community and I am a person of color along with being a minority in this country.

Outline

Central idea: Every day Muslims are targeted merely because of the religion they follow and the misconception that they are terrorists.

How: I will make my argument by elaborating more on the following point and supporting them with evidence from articles, media outlets, and personal experiences.

1. The media constantly portrays Muslims as terrorists.
  • After 9/11, the media has been depicting Muslims as violent, fatal extremists who promote groups like Al Qaeda and ISIS
  1. The media brainwashes people into having the wrong mindset.
  • The news ignites fears and suspicions towards Muslims onto Americans
  1. People of position are biased towards the Muslim community which fuels the fire within the public.
  • Most of the fears white Americans have of Muslim-Americans is unfounded in reality. It’s based on politicians like Donald Trump and biased media like Breitbart and Fox News whipping them into a mob-like frenzy so they don’t bother to look at the facts.