Prof. Jessica Penner | OL70 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #3: Brainstorming Discourse Community

Muhammad Musharib

English1121

Professor Penner

Words Counts : 305

A discourse community is a particular community that has an aim to get recognized. Sometimes conflicts may arise while achieving that recognition or goal. For example, I’m a Pakistani-American, Who was not born here but moved here. I’m also Muslim the challenges I faced when I moved here was the language because every country has its unique language and so does Pakistan which is called Urdu. Urdu is similar to the Indian language called Hindi but not the same. When I moved here I did not understand English, couldn’t write or read, but as timed move on I was able to speak and understand English through the education system in the U.S. I got used to life here and the environment here.
The food was hard to get used to because I’m from a Muslim community and we cannot eat meat that is slaughter in a non-Islamic way, and to get that kind of meat We had to travel like ⅔ miles on transportation or sometimes our family friend would drop us because the first time I came here I did not have my license or even a permit to drive.
The environment was also was an issue for me because the city where I’m from is warm and rarely it is cold during October – January, and I moved here during June which is similar weather to what I’m used to in Pakistan, as months passed and when it was time for the winter snowfall I caught a cold because for me it was not the same environment as I was used to it was extremely cold for me, But for the people that have been living here for some time or even born here they shouldn’t feel cold as much as I was feeling because they are used to these type of environment.

1. Mahreen Munawar

I very deeply connect with your struggle of finding halal food. Being a Pakistani-American myself who moved here only a couple years ago, it was very difficult to adjust to minimal food options. On the bright side, over the last few years I have really seen a lot of neighborhoods in New York that have been open to more cultural food options including our own.

2. aaamrin

Hey! I can kind of relate to you. I was born in America instead of my motherland but my family never lets me forget my culture and religion. It’s such a struggle finding halal food and having to explain to people why you can’t eat this or that.