Quote 1:

“we have come to see that communities are in fact differentiated by various factors such as, how localized they are, what origins they have had, and what types of activities are central to their existence.”

Reaction:

When I read this line something just clicked for me. It had me thinking about the class discussion, and how in my group we were three different types of Hispanics all with different words for something. I think the quote shows how in any group there are still communities within a certain group that have their own saying/methods to doing stuff compared to others. Even within floors of the same building things can vary a lot, as the author showed in his piece.

Quote 2:

“What was before largely scene, unnoticed background, becomes foreground” -Porter

When I read this quote the author quoted the way I reacted to it was at first a bit confusion. I had to read it over a couple of times to get somewhat of an understanding. Now I see that it was mentioning how all these discourse communities are coming more into light and known. Before it was not really thought of or seen but as time goes on it starts to be shown into the light more. I think that was a big deal with how newly connected we became as a society with all the methods of communicating to the world, for example through social media. I think in fact because of all these new technologies more discourse communities are made where people are finding new communities for the things they find in common/do.