Prof. Jessica Penner | OL33 | Fall 2021

Discussion Question: “Problems and Issues”

Go back to your list of Discourse Communities and name two or three problems or issues that are central to each one.

Hit “reply” and write your list in the comment section below. For example:

Discourse Community: Issue/problem 1, issue/problem 2

Obviously, you put actual names where “discourse community” is, and actual problems where “issue/problem” is, but you get the point! 🙂

1. Lisa

Problems within my Discourse Communities

1) Nursing DC : Problem 1- Misinformation about patient can lead to not helping the patient and therefore not reaching the goal.
    Problem 2- Miscommunication between nurses such as not giving proper information or forgetting to give it can also lead to not reaching the goal of helping the patient.

2) Music Reactors DC : Problem 1- Getting into arguments over certain opinions on songs.

3) Social Media DC : Problem 1- Misleading information such as brands putting false information for personal benefit or company’s benefit.
    Problem 2- False narratives which can affect one’s self esteem or thoughts and beliefs for the worse.

2. Valentina

Family houses- One problem is that Many families have damaged or small houses not enough room, the second problem is that families don’t have a enough money to provide for both rent and to take care of their well being.

Gun violence- One problem is that the percentage of gun violence is increasing everyday getting hard to handle and the second problem is that everyday or every other day there is someone that dies from a shooting.

Climate change- One problem is that high temperatures and Natural disasters are increasing, the second problem is that many people are losing their houses and their family members.

3. Afroza

Teaching DC:
    problem 1: Sometimes teacher get mad with students because teacher shows their personal problem in school.
    Issue 1 : sometimes teacher can’t give others whatever they need for class because of issue.
    Business DC:
    Issue 1: Some of days they can’t get more products
    Issue 2: sometimes customars wants whatever they want but in the store they don’t have enough.
    Doctoring DC:
    problem 1: sometimes they are doing slowly which can affect patients.
    problem 2: they give instrusction to the nurse but sometimes nurse are not care so doctor should responsible for this.

4. abdullah

problems in my discourse community
    1)in my basketball group the issue is that one of us does bad and the problem is we all start yelling at him because he is playing bad and we lost because of him.issue 2 is that we don’t pass the ball around a lot the problem for this is we can’t get open to take a shot
    2)in my gaming group the issue is one of us has bad Internet and starts lagging when we play problem is that we lose because he is lagging which gets everyone mad. another issue is that when someone does bad in the game and doesn’t help the team the problem to this is that everyone gets mad and starts arguing instead of playing
    3)in my trading group the issue is one of us gives us a bad and the problem is that all of us follow that call and then we lose money because the stock drops instead of going up

5. Kimberly

1. Gym DC
    Problem 1: There can be times where women don’t feel comfortable at the gym since there are usually more men that lift weights and use strength machines.

Problem 2: Members of the gym try to go as often as possible, but sometimes there is a lack of motivation or life gets in the way. There are times when work or school can take away time from going to work out.

2. Religion DC
    Problem 1: Even though the group is all the same religion everyone has a different way they interpret the bible and this can sometimes lead to disagreements.

Problem 2: There are times when members of the group do not join the zoom session because they are busy with other things. This can be a problem since they are not setting time aside for the group. This group meets once a week at the same time and it is sometimes difficult to all get together.

3. Study DC
    Problem 1: Since this is a group of about 5, it is sometimes difficult to all decide on which days we are all available to meet and study.

Problem 2: Studying in a group can lead to members feeling doubtful about themselves. This is a phenomenon called “imposter syndrome.” Working with friends can trigger feelings like this.

6. Rabbi

Sports DC:

Issue-1. Sometimes one or two of us failed to show on the match day, which is kind of trouble.

Gaming DC:

Issue-1. Most of the time we spent more time in the game what we should not do, but somehow it still happened.

Workplace DC:

Issue-1. Store information misunderstanding is what mostly happened in the recent past.

7. Eric

Language Barrier: One problem for me that is, I’m not able to communicate with my family through the language they would speak at their home country. Not being able to practice my parent’s language is difficult when trying talk to them about anything and for them to understand where I’m going about.

Social Media: Lots of people are so sucked into the internet especially media. Whenever I see people in public places, they’re always on their phone. I would go into a restaurant I see a family, a mother and father on the phone and so is their kid. No one is talking, dead empty.

Just Pollution: I would notice a crap ton of trash in local areas when going out. Breathing with mask makes things worse. I remember reading an article saying that’s there a giant island made of trash that’s twice as big as Texas. The entire planet stinks.

8. Adam Shahin

1. Stock DC
    -Lots of FUD being spread when talking making others not wanna buy a certain stock etc. (FUD = Fear and doubt)
    -Stock can go wrong causing people to complain and lose money
    2. Muslim DC
    -Lots of Arabic Speakers where I live causing everyone to assume one another to speak Arabic to eachother when I don’t so gets annoying.
    -Too much Muslim people around cause of Stores/Family living here causing my neighborhood to be crowded most of time. (Especially during Covid it’s dangerous)
    3. Radiology/Hospital DC
    -Miscommunication between staff can happen causing issues
    -False and Misinformation bout a patient can also happen causing issues.

9. Gerardo Ramos

1. Outside operations DC- some issues is the the amount of hours that are worked, not enough workers. Another problem is the scheduling system for shifts,
    2. The latino DC at the country club- some issues is that sometimes its just a group that is worked hard by white management. Always expected to get a lot done. Another issue is sometimes drama between one another from being uptight and not want to help one another because of pettiness and not being in the same “part” of the club working
    3. Caddying dc issues are the sometimes grueling hours having to carry heavy bags in the heat. Another is not going with people who would be your regulars, sometimes you get asked for but not put on with those guys and go with people you do not know.

10. Gerardo Ramos