Prof. Jessica Penner | D4308 | Fall 2022

Matthew Velez, My Writing Process

The way that I approach writing is to be very blunt about stuff. I don’t like writing extra draft. I avoid it. I find the process tiresome. I also hate doing things the last minute because it makes stress and feel that my writing will. Be greatly affected be it. In the end all will write about is stress. What I do like to is reread to make sure that everything that I wanted to be said is conveyed through my words. That every single syllable is exactly what I am thinking when I am writing. I want the reader to live through my thoughts. But that comes with it’s cons. Being blunt about everything is not very beneficial to your reader. Sometimes adding literary devices can help the reader live through your experiences. That is what I would like to change in my writing. The use of literally devices can help my thoughts being conveyed to the reader in my writing.

1. Matthew Velez

1.    What have you decided to focus on for your education narrative? Why have you chosen to tell this particular story?

I have decided to focus on the part of my life where I got my first actual job. I want to tell this story because it really showed me what my parents, aunt, uncle, grandpa. Had to go though so that we (the second generation in America) could have a better life.

2.    What is the meaning/significance of your story? Why should people read it? Write this out in one sentence.

The significance of the story is to show the reader what led to my choice of going to college and to purse a higher education. Why I want to continue getting smarter

3.    In one word, how do you want people to feel when they are done reading your story?

Decided.

4.    Freewrite details you remember about the situation you are describing: include people, places, dialogue, feelings, thoughts, etc. that are in some way connected to your story.

People: Myself, Grandpapa (papito), Tio Carlos, Rafael, Tio Anthony, Milagros, Jean Paul.

Place: El perucho (the name of my first job), lower Manhattan

Dialogue: Conversation included everyone telling me this is what it is to not have an education. Suffering. All of them telling me to go to school. Telling me that this wasn’t for me. That I am smarter than this.

Feelings. Admiration, Nervous about going to my first job, nervous to talk to people, slowly getting to be comfortable to talk to people.

Second, review what you have so far and try to label the features of your narrative arc.

1.    Exposition/Inciting Incident (who, what, when, where and how does your story begin?)

5:30 am getting ready to go to my first job at my house. This happened around august 2020. I demonstrate how nervous I was. Very nervous mother was going to take me. I arrive at my shift and begin to sell the phone cases

2.    Rising Action (you should include a lot of the story details here)

Show what happened in august 2020. Describe the boiling heat. Stress that it was really hot

Show what happened in January 2021. Describing the freezing cold.

3.    Climax (the moment of most drama and significance)

When I arrived at 7:30 AM and seeing the man in the suit carrying a Starbucks coffee. Emphazing the way he looked (professional).

Realizing this isn’t what I wanted for the rest of my life. I wanted to be the person in the suit. I want to be that person holding to $8 coffee. I want to be that person walking to work rather than running for a train. I want to be able to sleep in the weekends

4.    Falling Action (what happened after?)

Continued with my job till the end of summer

5.    Resolution (what was the result of this experience? What is the significance?)

I quit my job and realized that this life was not for me. Realized sacrifices our older generation have made. Realized they did it so that I can have an easy life.