Parkin, Simon. “Finally, a Cure for Insomnia?” The Guardian, Guardian News and Media, 14 Sept. 2018, www.theguardian.com/news/2018/sep/14/finally-a-cure-for-insomnia.

In the U.K the number of patients who complained to their doctors about insomnia between 1993-2007 have doubled.   A London clinic founded in 2009 by Hugh Selsick revolutionized treatment for sleepiness.  Eighty percent reported major improvements while half claimed to be cured.  Selsick became an insomniac in 1993 and explored CBT and its effectiveness on those with insomnia.                Selsick contradicts the use of CBT through expressing his belief in sleeping pills.  However, CBT requires the patient to have a long term commitment.  A patient named Zehavah Handler attended the clinic in 2016 as she suffered from chronic insomnia.  The clinic offered a 5 week program that monitored the patients sleep through sleep journals and broke negative associations related to insomnia.  With CBT programs being far from becoming widely available, the sleeping pill Neomorexint is believed to be the current effective treatment for insomnia.

Two questions I have for the author is why would the owner of the clinic settle for distributing sleeping pills? Does Selsick plan on expanding the clinics overseas? I don’t understand the constant reliance on sleeping pills that show little to no progress. “Most long-term insomniacs show none of the telltale physical signs of fatigue. It’s a hidden, private affliction.” This quote left me puzzled as often when I think of insomniac I think of noticeable signs of fatigue such as dark circles, sleepiness etc. I would look up the effectives of this new sleeping drug Neomorexint. I would also look up to see if other clinics replicate the same program as Selsick’s. I would tell the author that the information was insightful, as it allowed me to learn about an alternative treatment to CBT. This online newspaper answered my research question & taught me of a new effective treatment other than CBT.

The use of the genre being a U.K newspaper offer a reliable source and extensive information on the subject being discussed. The author’s credentials seems reliable as they gave extensive information and wrote in a proper format. The author’s writing style was organized with no grammatical or punctual errors. The purpose for the article is to inform the readers that treatment known as CBT is slowing expanding and an alternative for CBT is a new sleeping pill. The author isolates there research to two individuals who suffer from insomnia; the owner of the clinic and a patient. This highlights the awareness of the audience as the readers who suffer from insomnia can relate to the individuals mentioned.

“…Handler wants to dedicate her life to helping others do the same; she plans to open her own insomnia clinic next year.” This quote stood out to me the most as a patient of the clinic was so moved by the process. The program moved Handler to quit her previous job to help others.