A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

CURIOSITY

As a kid I was a very curious kid that did very crazy stuff but from those experiences I got to learn a lot, every kid in the world has their inner explorer in them they always like to find out new stuff that they don’t know about without measuring the consequences , the consequences part is what makes a kid curiosity interesting because they will just do what they want to do without having something in their back of their heads telling no or to have time to analyze the outcomes that his actions could cause, I was one of those kid I did stuff now I ask myself why I did it without thinking, an example of me being very curious that could’ve have lead to a very serious consequence is when I just started to learn how to swim I remember that day like it was yesterday, I was in school on my 3rd grade class and it was time for gym class but this class was no normal gym class, last week the teacher informed that this day we would start going to the schools pool to learn how to swim, at that point I was really nervous because I wanted to learn how to swim and because I didn’t want to drown, so as we started going to the pool there was some people that were bragging about how the know how to swim and how they are going beat us a race swimming and that type of stuff, then we proceeded to change and the teacher started teaching us the basics floating and paddling with our feet and all that basic stuff, after he finished he informed us that the ones that knew how to swim and the ones that didn’t could change and play sports on the soccer or basketball courts, and since most of friends didn’t leave I decided to stay knowing I knew little on how to swim, the teacher told us that we could use beginner boards for us to use for extra help to swim and of course after that all my friends just threw themselves and floated back up like nothing, and at that point I thought how bad could it be and I threw myself in after some friends were cheering me up thinking I could swim, once I drop I couldn’t go back up at that moment I felt so scared and had an urge to survive so at that point everything turned into slow motion and I was thinking the lesson the teachers taught us to swim and remember he said once u fall in a pool u want to go as deep as you can and once you touch the floor go up and that’s what I did and let the board go went as deep as the pool was and go back up and started floating to the edge of the pool and got up safely.

After that happened the following classes I learned how to swim, and felt very proud of myself because I just learned something I didn’t  know how to do which show how curious a kid could be and how extreme they could be which makes them very brave because they do stuff sometimes stuff adult wont even dare do like roller coasters, even up to this day I am a very curious person I like to do and learn new stuff I don’t know, and I feel after the videos which we just saw makes it more clear that is good to be curious and to be yourself, because you learn stuff many people don’t know about and sometimes you could even know change the world by the discoveries you make from your curiosity.

1. Dr. Vivian Papp

Oh my goodness, Nicholas. That must have been terrifying. I’m glad you are ok. Curiosity can be dangerous, especially in your situation.