A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

New Genre

In unit 2 I did research on the creativity in comics compared to the creativity in movies and why it is important have knowledge of your topic before you create something. I based it of an article, video, report and a book to support my topic, which was if comic based movies should stay faithful to their original comic.  My audience would be film critics and film makers, so I was thinking that my genre would be a video, which makes more sense to me.

1. Dominique Echevarre

Seems cool, you creating a video towards film critics and film makers. I’m doing a visual genre too, I’m not sure on any editing or video creating platforms. I know there’s iMovie, so I asked the professor if she knew any websites, she mentioned Visme to me. Hopefully it helps you out. That’s the only one I know so far about editing presentations. I’m sure any video presentation would be interesting, I remember those awkward role plays in presentation videos or demos in front of the class. They weren’t award winning performances, just embarrassing and cringy but at least it wasn’t boring. I would say watch out for bad edits and organizing your clips, I have no idea how your going to do your video but those short informative videos on YouTube are cool. I don’t know if you’re aware of ThugNotes on YouTube, but he’s funny and really informative about any reviews or summaries. He’s done movie reviews, political topics, and books like the Great Gatsby or Shakespeare. Hopefully that’s helps into what type of video you want to do.

2. jayda

I am interested to know more about your topic. I honestly do not know what generates creativity in comics compared to the creativity to the movies. Maybe there are differences and maybe you might find things in common. I think out of all the options you had for your genre, a video seems just right when it comes to getting your message across. Would you have images and charts or any type of images in your video? I hope all goes well with the final touches and throughout the whole process as well.

3. Joel

I find your topic very interesting because creativity has a heavy influence in how the audience enjoys it. For example with the most recent spider-man movies they deviated away from the characteristics Peter & Mary Jane had. The actors are great however, I enjoyed the original elements in the first movie as they followed the comic’s creativity. I think you making a video and directing it towards film critics is effective as film critics can observe and learn if those comparisons or similarities are negative or beneficial for a film. They can also take into account how important it is to have prior knowledge of the topic before they finalize the film. I believe your question and the genre you’re using can captivate aspiring filmmakers and allow them to enrich their creativity before embarking in the film industry.