I believe Baldwin was trying to encourage students to always explore and learn the many amazing and unpleasant things in this world, to change it for the better. By saying that this world is larger I think he means to talk about the many views, inventions, and the unknown factors in this world, so we won’t limit ourselves, or conform to society.

The things that I learn in the class are the things I wish I could learn in my other classes or in my education.  How to be understanding and caring, have different views on life, discuss important topics, and be aware of things that we haven’t noticed before.  I think those are important since they train your brain on how to change the world, and be a better person. Instead I learn the same things I learned in the 5th grade or about things I won’t ever use in my future, which is why I like English.

I loved the purpose of education mentioned in the 2nd passage, to make your own decisions, if you believe in heaven or not, what is black and white, etc.  Yet the passage mentioned how society wants you to think you have your rights and liberty, but they really want a conformed, civilized,  quiet person. It would be easier for them to organize and rule, but to be independent and successful to our own desires, we are asked to break barriers and not be the typical stereotypes.  That we should learn to live with these life questions,  and accept the fact that society doesn’t like us, when we stop trying to please people, we’ll be free to decide what is best for ourselves without the labels, “if this country does not find a way to use that energy, it will be destroyed.”