Quote1: I began to realize all his comments were the same, and a student who was in his group confirmed that he never read his partners’ essays before writing feedback.(Page2)

Analysis1: This is the wrong way to make comments. What he did is for finish the assignment, not for check how are his partner’s works.

Quote2: Students would often judge their peers’ writing based on what they thought a teacher would want, rather than their own criteria for what makes writing good.(Page4)

Analysis2: I do that a lot too, but now I know that we should give different opinions to their essay. Not the what the teacher would want, its what I would want. Different person gives different ideas, that makes our essay perfect.

Quote3: Now consider this: Is it even possible to like the writing that you and your peers have to do for classes? Not always. But, I would argue that you don’t have to like the academic writing your peers share with you (i.e., enjoy it the way I enjoy most any article about the Boston Red Sox) in order to praise what’s working for you as a reader.(Page5)

Analysis3: Simply comment from the reader’s point of view, pretending not to know the author, and seeing his work for the first time. This helps us improve the quality of our comments without any personal bias.

Quote4: As an example, Andrea writes in the space next to Jordan’s title “The Unwritten”: I really like your title—it fits well with the theme running through about things we must accept in life that are too complicated to be written in a rulebook. Since you only mention writing a couple times in the piece, it’s nice and subtle. (Page10)

Analysis4: We are not just writing “good, nice” when we are commenting. These are meaningless comments. We need to write what is good and why does it good. We should add more details, a good comment is a short article. We can analyze the author’s writing strategy and intention. We can also relate to things outside of the article, which makes the comment look more natural.