Different languages that I’ve grown up with have had different impacts on my life. I grew up speaking both the English and Spanish languages. I have a mother who’s English is what most would say “broken English.” I always talk to her in both languages because we understand each other in the language we speak. Our English is what we share. Many people, however, would not understand me if I were to talk to them in the English I talk with my mother. I was always able to help my mother with reading, writing, and in conversations, because many people don’t understand her and would not take her seriously and at times she would not be able to understand many of the words as she read or how to say certain words, however, I was always able to understand her.

Reading Amy Tan’s story, I was able to relate to many of the hard times she went through. Amy Tan stated “Yet some of my friends tell me they understand 50 percent of what my mother says. Some say they understand 80 to 90 percent. Some say they understand none of it, as if she were speaking pure Chinese. But to me, my mother’s English is perfectly clear, perfectly natural. It’s my mother’s tongue” (Tan).  I believe that my mother’s English is perfectly clear and even if others don’t understand her or if they somewhat understand her, I will always know exactly what my mother is saying.

I was also relating to Jamila Lyiscott when she gave her speech explaining how she uses different types of English in certain places. The way I speak with my mother is not how I speak in class or at work and the way I speak is also different when I’m with my friends in my neighborhood. I switch the way I speak and switch my tone depending on who I’m talking to. In the end, I always use my 3 ways of speaking English.