It was a winter day, it was cloudy and cold outside, and I’m sitting in a classroom. I was 16 years old in my junior year of high school and I was sitting in my Ap English class. I was in this classroom because I was trying to graduate early, therefore, I had to take this class. The temperature of the classroom was warm while it was freezing cold outside. In the classroom, it smelled like markers, perfume, papers, and food. All I’m hearing is people talking within their groups doing the group project that was due at the end of class.

It was cloudy and a little dark outside, so the teacher decided to turn on all of the lights to help us work better.  Around me are notebooks, folders, markers, students sitting on chairs, tables, and a big piece of paper that we had to complete our project on. Right I front of me was the markers and the papers that I had to use to complete the project and also a student who was eating their snacks. To the right of me was a student who had put their head down because it was the morning and they stated they were tired. To the left of me was another student who was in my group that had no idea what was to be done in class because they were not paying attention. Below me are my feet and the feet of other students and the white floor and around my feet are crumbled up paper and pencils students must have let fall. Behind me would be the teacher observing us, making sure we are all participating, and getting the work done.

I’m getting started with the work when a few minutes later I realize that the students are not helping at all. They are either eating, napping, or not paying attention. I was stressing out and rushing because the project is to be done by the end of class. The project was to go in-depth about the reading we finished in the class and find the meaning of what the story is trying to tell the reader. I also had to name most of the important characters and figure out what each of their motives was. It seemed as if nobody in my group wanted to help me finish and earn their credit. I didn’t pay mind to them and continued my work when I realize I had finally finished it before class started. The bell rang, I handed to work to my teacher and left class. A few days after, when I check the grade I got from the project, I realized that the teacher gave the students in my group credit when they did absolutely no work.

When this happened to me I was angry because they took credit from the work I did on my own. This made me look at life and education differently.  Students would try to take credit for the work you’ve done and the teacher would just give it to them.  In life people would always try to take credit in your work however, you have to prevent that and make sure people know the work you worked hard for.