Open Pedagogy Event (2/27): Access in Service

Meme by @hot.crip of red serif text on a beige background that reads "If you think accommodations are hard... try being disabled!" Text after the ellipsis is crooked in a black-rimmed checkbox.

Access in Service

Thursday, February 27, 2020, 4:30-6:00pm (Faculty Commons, N227)

*Refreshments will be served.

*Part-time faculty are eligible to receive a stipend for participation.

*Please RSVP by commenting on this post. Please share this invitation with your colleagues!

Access in higher education means more than implementing accommodations and access-centered pedagogy. Outside of the classroom, students face barriers to access in areas like advising, tutoring, and writing centers. These include a lack of culturally-responsive writing support,  legal and advising support tailored to students’ needs, and transparency around registration and financial aid. Faculty and staff who serve on committees, mentor students, and participate in various types of teaching and learning centers must think through how to  serve both multiply-marginalized students and our institutions with access and justice in mind. In this event we will consider the following questions:

• How can university faculty practice inclusivity in mentoring and advising disabled and non-disabled students with shifting and complex needs? 
  • How do shifting  cultural attitudes and norms impact how we think  about access in higher education? What kind of shifting norms come up around using technology to facilitate access?
  • What barriers to access do you encounter when you advise students and mentor students, formally or informally? What strategies have you used to reduce these barriers, and how do you learn from others about access-centered service opportunities? 
  • How can we, as individuals and institutions, reframe access to consider the full range of what a person (student, staff/faculty member) encounters at the college?

Recommended Readings:

Image Credit: meme by Sharona Franklin on her @hot.crip Instagram account 

20 thoughts on “Open Pedagogy Event (2/27): Access in Service”

1. Can someone please let me know the street address for the event? I’m travelling from another campus. Thanks!

2. I plan to be there!
    I teach until 5pm today, so I may arrive around 5/5:15pm. Hope I don’t interrupt when I arrive!