SUMMER 2021

‘A Letter to My Nephew’

“You were born into a society which spelled out with brutal clarity and in as many ways as possible that you were a worthless human being. You were not expected to aspire to excellence: you were expected to make peace with mediocrity”.

While I was reading this letter “A letter to My Nephew” and watching “Between the world and me” it really opened my eyes to see how hard it was and what it was like to live throughout the 20th century as an African American in this country. In this letter by James Baldwin, Baldwin expresses the how hard it was to be African American growing up in America. This quote Baldwin explains the harsh reality of being African American. That no matter what you do in life you will always be judged, useless, and will be treated terribly just because of the color of your skin. Since you are of different color you can not and will not accomplish anything in life and you will not get the same opportunities as everyone else. You are expected to deal with all the unruliness and unfairness that life offers you. From the moment that you are born you will not have a fair chance at life and that was the reality of it.

Daniel Conenna

1. Mark Noonan

Excellent response Daniel.