Maureen Neuringer | COMD 3711 | Section D030

01 Discussion

Each week you will need to respond to a question posted. Your response should be a minimum of 150 words for both questions. You should also include at least one response to your fellow students. The responses are a requirement for participation part of your grade.

Question 01 –

When will you choose Adobe Illustrator ahead of the other Adobe Software? List three things you might create with Adobe illustrator.

1. Irin Yela

I will choose Adobe illustrator ahead of the other Adobe software is when I want to create some vector graphics or an illustration art, but I use it mainly for logos. I use it because that way I don’t lose the pixels in my work, where I can scale to any size without losing quality, like photoshop. 3 things I might create with Adobe illustrator are icons, logos, and posters.

2. Nastassia Molicheva

Adobe Illustrator is instrumental when working on  any project that needs to be scalable. It prevents pixelation when changing the sizing of the artwork, since the results are in vector.

Additionally,  it can be used when bringing the hand drawn art to digital. The curve tool allows precision in over-lining the original work.

It can also be used if there’s a need to modify/customise the type/letter shape or alignment.

3. Nira Bouzgarrou

When dealing with vector art, Adobe Illustrator is the first option that comes to mind. Creating logos, patterns, business cards, stickers… Adobe Illustrator is the best when it comes to doing all this especially if you have a deliverable that requires to be in different sizes.

• Nira Bouzgarrou

Another great thing is you can use art boards on illustrator and create a specific color pallet that you can use later to keep a branding consistent with all the deliverables for the brand identity. 

• Nastassia Molicheva

I agree that creating color palettes is an extremely helpful way to keeping up with the brand consistency. I would also add that within the Adobe CC, the XD app also has this capability.

4. Jeffrey Lin

I would choose adobe Illustrator when I need to work on vector graphics.

Changing the object’s size does not change its quality in Illustrator. Vector objects remain sharp when printed.

You can change the traits or characteristics of an object. Changing the opacity, shape, color, or size of an object is what you can do in this program. You can have shapes overlap each other. You can edit multiple objects.

You can easily create lines using the pen tool. With the pen tool, you can create unique shapes.

Creating artboards in Illustrator keeps everything organized. I could have many versions of a project under one illustrator file. I don’t have to open another illustrator file to get an object or compare artwork. Artboards also help with making presentations. These boards can also be in different sizes.

I would use Illustrator to design logos, create illustrations, or make shapes and lines. 

5. Katherine Alas

I would use Adobe Illustrator ahead of the other Adobe Software when I know I need an illustration that needs to work in various sizes because vector graphics maintains their quality if you make it big or smaller. I would use Illustrator to create vector art, logos, and icons. For logos even if they are typically based I would use illustrator instead of InDesign because I like other options that illustrator has to change type, like when I make them into an object then I can change them just like a shape and use pathfinder tool to cut the letters. When creating illustrations I would choose Illustrator instead of photoshop for when it’s going to be used in different sizes when so it can retain all the details but I do like photoshop for enhancing images and in some cases, I think using both to make the illustration can sometimes make it look even better.

6. Basema Ikhmayes

I will choose Adobe illustrator ahead of the other Adobe software when designing a logo, illustration, and charts. By providing shape-building tools, brushes, perspective grids, and other features that make it simple to handle every aspect of logo design, Adobe Illustrator is the best option for logo design. Also, It includes various components that may be used to create complex graphics and images, making it an excellent choice for illustration.One of my favorite tools in adobe illustrator is the pathfinder tool, and It is a very useful tool to use when designing a logo.

7. Matthew De Souza

To me, adobe illustrator is used to create logos, promotional or branded content, and digital art, to name a few. Both Indesign and Photoshop do not have the same flexibility in that department and over the years that I have been using creative cloud, illustrator has always been my go-to for visual design. A handy feature I use often is the ability to manipulate text and even give them various effects. This is especially useful for creating logos, postcards, posters, etc… Another feature that I noticed about illustrator is that when creating vector graphics and images, they use lines, points, and curves on a mathematical formula rather than using pixels. This is important as you can be able to scale up and down an image while maintaining good quality.

• Irin Yela

I agree that to be able to manipulate text is super helpful. I also often use Adobe Illustrator to manipulate text, by making it into outline to make varies logo or icons.

• Jeffrey Lin

Very good. I like that you included Photoshop and InDesign not having the same power as Illustrator. Both share or have similar tools of illustrator but they are limited. Zooming into vector graphics will keep the quality and not show pixels because illustrator is using math to create those graphics.

8. Ebony Derrick

I would use Adobe Illustrator before any other Adobe software to create logos, icons, or vector art. I would be able to use different tools and shapes to create logos or other vector art editing then use various types of tools to make the design interactive amongst each other to make it come together. Other Adobe programs like InDesign and Photoshop wouldn’t be helpful to create visual art since InDesign is used for typography for posters and ads while Photoshop would be used for editing or enhancing pictures and creating gifs. Adobe Illustrator is also great to use for creating art illustrations without losing any of its values or qualities despite changing the size.

• Matthew De Souza

I agree that all three adobe software have their special uses and benefits. I tend to customize my drawings a lot and found that Illustrator is the best application for that. When creating a presentation and creating typographic designs, I would use Indesign, and when I want to edit photos with good compositions and correct lighting, Photoshop is the best option.

9. Ibrahima Diallo

Adobe illustrator would be used for Logos, creating characters, and other vector art type of works. The reason being is because in other software’s such as photoshop, you can make certain images but wouldn’t have great quality in resizing images. As well in illustrator, resizing images really don’t end up getting pixelated as it does in photoshop and there are more opportunities within AI. Photoshop gives you more of the ability to just resize, retouch up more images while AI gives you more variety.

• Nira Bouzgarrou

I agree, photoshop is meant for more photography based projects. While Illustrator is perfect for anything that is vector art related.

10. Jenise Roque

I would chose to use Adobe Illustrator when I am creating a logo or vector illustration. This way, I would be able to resize my vector image without ruining the quality. Photoshop would not be a good program to use because it is mostly for color correcting and editing, and InDesign is best used for typography based-projects, so they are not the best programs to use. Vector Illustrations are much easier to edit and color, so that’s why Adobe Illustrator is the best program to use.

• Blany Gil Reyes

Certainly. It is crucial to understand what does what when it comes to the program we’re using. If it were for image editing and color-correcting, we would use photoshop. As for your take on illustrator, I agree. Illustrator is easier to use when creating logos and vector illustrations, as we can resize infinitely and not lose quality and color.

• Basema Ikhmayes

I agree Adobe illustrator does resize the image without ruining the quality of the work.Spring 2023 I had an illustration class and we used to transfer our work from traditional to digital and the quality was always good. ante sometimes it seemed it looked better.

11. Blany Gil Reyes

I will choose adobe Illustrator instead of other software if I’m trying to create or focus mainly on vector art; such as logos, web design, and drawing. Those would be the reason why using illustrator would be better since it is specifically used for that. Especially the ability to not lose the quality of the work and infinitely resize a piece of work makes it handy to use it for multiple purposes and transfer over.

• Jenise Roque

I agree with using Adobe Illustrator for logos and drawing, because you are able to edit and resize the vector illustration to fit for anything such as posters, T-Shirts, and even buildings. That way, the quality of the vector art would not be ruined unlike working on photoshop or illustrator.

12. Mercedes Alvarez

I choose to use adobe illustrator when I am making more illustrative-based work. Also when designing logos and asset marks using illustrator is important because it is a vector format rather than a raster such as photoshop. This means you can minimize or expand your design to any dimensions without losing quality. When using illustrator I create logos, asset marks, pattern designs, and more.

• Ibrahima Diallo

Using illustrator for logos and pattern designs is essential and really great. You do get the ability to also create clothing things and better things with brands. Providing more things then photoshop which can possibly be more useful in the job world.

• Ebony Derrick

I agree with you. When using Illustrator, many changes can be made to the design sizing without any complications or losing any detailing.

• Nira Bouzgarrou

True! AI is a perfect tool for resizing anything that was designed on it, while photoshop will just pixelise the work that was done on it.