Luchia Survaillance/Privacy Readings

The article expresses the idea of  how due to our rapid increase our knowledge becomes technologically mediated and mentions the question: Do telerobotics and the Internet really provide us with knowledge?” I think internet doesn’t help us invent new knowledge but certainly help us exchange knowledge. As far as telerobotics for example the  NASA’s Sojourner Telerobot on Mars connects us with something that can give us knowledge but they serve just like the microscopes later mentioned as a arm or a magnify glass to see something that we cannot through a naked eye. .

In ancient Greece the goddess of practical knowledge was Techne, whose name gives us our words “technique” and “technology.” One of the Greek words for art is “techne”. This etymology reveals a deep connection between technology and the practices of living and creating — it is the relationship between humanity and the making of technology.

I agree and think that art and creation of technology come from the same place in our brain, and from the need to create and express ourselves through art or technology. They are form of expression but I think technology is something more useful and can help us understand the world around us just like the NASA Sojurner and art let say a painting is more like the Internet that we can look at it and see something that gives us understanding of a different time and place but doesn’t provide us with deeper knowledge then that.

Surveillance and Capture, Two models of Privacy by Philip E. Agre talks about the issue of privacy and I think this is the biggest concern of many people with the fast growing new technologies. He stops his attention to two contrasting cultural models, one is the “surveillance model that is build upon visual metaphors and derives from historical experiences of secret police surveillance.”

The second is “the capture model” that is related to informational technologies more specifically industrial work that allows computers to track them in real life.

In my opinion if you don’t have to worry about doing something wrong then why oppose against surveillance. There are many crimes that have been resolved fast with the new technologies and I think that people who have been directly affected by crime will not be against some sort of a privacy interference.

I even think that babies when born should have chip or some sort of a tracking device till they are about 15 and that would save so much grieve and limit many crimes. many people will say that that is something against privacy but if you ask a parent I am sure many of them sill accept the idea.

Bottom line is that we all base our decisions against our needs and privacy as well.

This entry was posted in Discussions, Luchia Dragosh, Students, Surveilliance/Privacy Readings. Bookmark the permalink.