Writing task Mentor Quote-Tayyab Malik

“Temporary pleasures will only harm the future you want to create.”

I was in a parent teacher conference during my senior year and I was sat down with my history teacher alongside my mother. During this time I wasn’t keen on education because I found it boring and tedious. I would spend half my day playing online video games with my friends and sometimes would skip school to go play basketball with my friends in public parks. I was doing average to below average in my classes and was impacting the way my mom thought about my commitment to my education and future. She would often say ‘if you don’t want to study, at least go and get a job instead of staying home all day’, for the first few months I ignored her. During the meeting, after my teacher said this quote he explained to me all you need to do is mentally push yourself and struggle for the years you are in college and high school because once you get past those years the rest of you life you will thank your younger self on the commitment and dedication you had maintained throughout those years.

As I grew older, I remembered those words to be a motivation to me even though I kept falling in the same hole over and over again. I graduated high school and once I hit the age of 18 those word really came into perspective because all the actions and activities that gave me pleasure were now becoming boring and repetitive. Things like video games and partying are only joyful as long you want them to be, once you don’t like them you understand all the time you had wasted during those moments. Moments like those make you realize how valuable and precious time can be. Now that I started college I intend to keep my self and busy as I can and restrict myself to not have any free time because once day of laziness can setback a persons progress. As of now I started a job where I work 30 hours a week during the afternoons and evenings and take classes in the mornings along with going to the gym to take care of my fitness and health. My goal which I’m still working on is to create a mindset where I am on top of duties and work because things like procrastination and laziness are very easy traps to fall into and I wouldn’t want my future to be ruined because I wasn’t mentally strong and prepared.

3 thoughts on “Writing task Mentor Quote-Tayyab Malik”

1. “Temporary pleasures will only harm the future you want to create.”
    WHO SAID THIS TO YOU AND IN WHAT CONTEXT?

How has these words changed you? What temporary pleasures in your life are you referring to?

This quote does not seem to be connected to what you write below. PLEASE READ AGAIN THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THIS HW. Where is your scene writing? We are creating Theatre of the Mind as we read in the Laurence Fishbourne NYT interview.

You write: During the meeting [need description of this setting — turn into a scene], after my teacher said this quote [what quote: the above quote or the words that follow? Need clarification. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THIS HW AGAIN.] he explained to me all you need to do is mentally push yourself and struggle . . . As I grew older, I remembered those words to be a motivation.

Need the scene where these words were said to you. Then explain how you felt as you heard the words. Describe the PT conference.

You are telilng me but you are not SHOWING ME and your writing needs to have a scene where you SHOW ME how this quote from the teacher (who what is the name of the teacher — need that detail!!!) changed you.

You write: I wasn’t keen on education because I found it boring and tedious. I would spend half my day playing online video games with my friends and sometimes would skip school to go play basketball.

You write: Things like video games and partying are only joyful as long you want them to be, once you don’t like them you understand all the time you had wasted during those moments. Moments like those make you realize how valuable and precious time can be. [moments like what?]

Can you give a description of the scene in the parent teacher conference when the teacher (who what name) said these words — which words?) THen describe the kind of student you were with good details.

TAYYAB: You have missed important classes where we have examined the assigned readings for good description and good writing. We have been learning how to Read Like a Writer RLW and you have missed all that learning.