Writing Task Mentor Quote- Laurencia Colon

“The best time to plant a tree was 25 years ago. The next best time is now”

_ My Dad 

When I got the joy of understanding the true import of this saying, I was only so happy my father had brought it up. The message strongly suggests that opportunities that had gone past were not a good enough reason to give up on aspirations and the realization of dreams. It stood in sharp contrast with one of the most popular sentences i had always known that goes “opportunity comes but once” If there was any truth in what my father had said, that  sentence cannot be holistic correct. The undeniable reality that the earlier a good is attempted, the better for the course  holds sway but in a situation where one misses to utilize the best window to act on an issue, the next best window to do so would suffice. This quote from my dad has had a very positive influence on my approach to life. It has helped me learn to keep regret in its place when I think about things I could have accomplished by now. 

The natural tendency to despair when I see the progress made by my peers who had the opportunity of an early start would ordinarily have held the potential to discourage me from  trying. But for the words of my father, I would have quickly branded situations as “too late” or a “lost course” . No way. That’s not me now. Now I understand that life can be stranger than fiction . That there can be delays to great things happening.  I have learnt not to shy away from a late or fresh start. I understand that life is not a 100 meters dash race but a marathon so we must learn to keep picking up the pieces and moving on. No time is too late to make it right with loved ones. Never too late to be educated.  Not too late to pursue a dream. Even in situations where opportunity slides by because I was ignorant, I refuse to be consumed by guilt or pain but rather be  strengthened by the presence of life and the default implication that there is hope to plant my tree today.

3 thoughts on “Writing Task Mentor Quote- Laurencia Colon”

1. “In a situation where one misses to utilize the best window to act on an issue, the next best window to do so would suffice.” This is amazing. Your father seems very wise and I am glad you have someone like such to help guide you through life.

2. PLS read the instructions for this HW more carefully.

Where is your scene when your dad said this to you? On what occasion did he say this? What was the context? the situation?

You don’t need a philosophizing; dont need summarizing of this quote. You need concrete details of the scene when, where, how this happened. You need to give the scene when this was said to you and how it impacted you in your educational journey. How did you apply these words to your situtation? Why was he saying this? Where were you? Describe the room, the occation, the setting. Remember to create Theatre of the MInd and write to make a story out of this moment in time when your dad said this to you. Think about our readings. How does MX describe the electric effect of Elijah Muhammad’s words on him. He began to write letters. What action did these words catapult you into? Why are they important IN YOUR LIFE. Describe the effect on you. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AGAIN>.

3. Lauren: I am giving you more specific feedback here…

_ My Dad

When I got the joy of understanding the true import of this saying, I was only so happy my father had brought it up. The message strongly suggests that opportunities that had gone past [Are you referring to your father’s background? If yes, this would be a good place to give backstory briefly and show why he says these words to you.} were not a good enough reason to give up on aspirations and the realization of dreams. It stood in sharp contrast with one of the most popular sentences i had always known that goes “opportunity comes but once” If there was any truth in what my father had said, that sentence cannot be holistic correct. The undeniable reality that the earlier a good is attempted, the better for the course holds sway but in a situation where one misses to utilize the best window to act on an issue, the next best window to do so would suffice. [Here you are summarizing / philosophizing. Instead CSD needed!] This quote from my dad has had a very positive influence on my approach to life. It has helped me learn to keep regret in its place when I think about things I could have accomplished by now.

The natural tendency to despair when I see the progress made by my peers who had the opportunity of an early start would ordinarily have held the potential to discourage me from trying. [OK here can you give a specific event when a friend had an opportunity that you wish you had – is this what you are referring to? This piece has too much vague and mysterious hints of a story – BUT NO STORY!] But for the words of my father, I would have quickly branded situations as “too late” or a “lost course” [Here is a goo dplace to create a scene of one of these “too late situations” Again need CSD. Show me with dialogue, details of the moment when you felt something was too late or you were lost and his words echoed inyour ears] . No way. That’s not me now. Now I understand that life can be stranger than fiction [DO you have story here to tell? Is there a scene that comes to your mind? DESCRIBE THIS MOMENT when life was stranger than fiction and you needed to “plant a tree” or whatever Dad’s words mean toyou] . That there can be delays to great things happening. I have learnt not to shy away from a late or fresh start. I understand that life is not a 100 meters dash race but a marathon so we must learn to keep picking up the pieces and moving on. No time is too late to make it right with loved ones. Never too late to be educated. Not too late to pursue a dream. Even in situations where opportunity slides by because I was ignorant, I refuse to be consumed by guilt or pain but rather be strengthened by the presence of life and the default implication that there is hope to plant my tree today.
    It sounds like your dad feels there were things he wished he had accomplished. Could you give just the part of his story that feeds into your own?
    Then can you show us with CSD a time in YOUR LIFE when his words echoed in your ears and got you moving toward your goals? Show me a specific moment in time when these words motivated you when you were down. What was the event, the hardship you were facing? Take me there, create theatre of the mind.