RAB Source Entry 2 – Nyazia B

Research question – How does Roe v Wade disproportionately affect black women? 

This topic interest me because I am a young black woman. Black women have always been at a disadvantage when it comes to the health care system.  When Roe v Wade was overturned it put black women a disadvantage even more because they face overwhelming cost and obstacles when it comes to reproductive healthcare. I witnessed Women protesting and the horrific stories of African American women had to endure due to the health care system failing us and the overturn of Roe v Wade is a prime example of how it has. I know that with Roe v Wade being overturned many women are not able to receive abortions, but the overturn has a disproportionate impact on women of color. I also know that many black women are overlooked and ignored when it comes to healthcare. Black women are the ones four times more likely to receive an abortion but are restricted to receiving a safe one whether they are in a state where it is legal or not because of poverty. I have read articles on how it has become even more difficult for black women to receive reproductive healthcare especially in places where it has now become illegal. I want to find out more stories black women must endure and how they are acting against the overturn of Roe and the systemic racism they’ve endured.

Part 1 – MLA Citation 

Simpson, Monica. “To Be Pro-Choice, You Must Have the Privilege of Having Choices.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 11 Apr. 2022, www.nytimes.com/2022/04/11/opinion/abortion-black-brown-women.html.

Part 2 – Summary 

Monica Simpson writes a New York times opinion piece called “To Be Pro Choice, You Must Have the Privilege of Having Choices,” illustrates the disadvantages black women face due to Roe v Wade being overturned and how the healthcare system has failed us. Simpson explains that systemic racism is built into the surface of our society especially when it comes to sexual and reproductive health. Simpson writes, “For more privileged people, these questions are rarely a deterrent. But for many Women of color and poor people, this heyday are major obstacles. That is how white supremacy works.” Simpson points out how women who decide to have an abortion but cannot receive one are four times more likely to eventually live in poverty compared to women who are able to receive an abortion. She ends her essay by encouraging black women to build collective power by putting a deeper investment into B.I.P.O.C – led organizations, share their abortion stories, and elect officials who align with reproductive justice values. 

Part 3 – Reflection 

Simpson provides a solution to help women of color fight for reproductive justice. As a young black woman, I agree with what she says about systemic racism being built into our sexual and reproductive health regarding roe v wade but also just with healthcare in general because when has healthcare ever been on the side of women of color? This article helps me realize how hard it is to really be a woman of color in our society when we are often dismissed and ignored when it comes to our health and how much a privilege it is to receive sexual and reproductive healthcare even though it should not be a privilege to begin with. Receiving a safe abortion and proper healthcare should never be up for debate and is a struggle black woman have had to endure because of the overturn of Roe v Wade but also because most women of color we live in poverty and do not get the same privilege white people do.  Black women are the ones to suffer the most with the overturn of Roe v Wade because it was never ensured we could receive an abortion even when we had the right to. Systemic racism regarding women reproductive healthcare runs very deep into our society and the overturn of Roe v Wade exposes all the faults within the healthcare system and how women of color are treated when it comes to it. There should be more acknowledgment towards the disproportionate impact Roe v Wade truly has on women of color. We need to solve the problem when it comes to reproductive injustice and work towards true reproductive justice. 

Part 4 – Rhetorical Analysis 

Simpson primary audience is Black Women. Her purpose is to get black women to speak up about the systemic racism that has been built into our society regarding sexual and reproductive health issues. The occasion is the overturn of Roe v Wade putting black women at an even bigger disadvantage than we already were. Simpsons genre of choice is an effective way to call women of color to become active in reproductive rights organizations. She uses the appeal of pathos by including her own experience as a child when white children laid their hands on her and when she would continuously pass a building dedicated to Senator Jesse Helms. She makes the reader feel sympathy. Simpson also uses the appeal of ethos. As a black woman she can reach other black women to act.  Monica Simpson has a strong credibility because she is a executive director of SisterSong women of color Reproductive Justice Collective. She is also a black activist. Publishing her opinion piece through New York Times also gives her credibility since it is a worldwide reported readership of 9.41 million digital only subscribers. It also has won 132 Pulitzer Prizes.

Part 5 – Notable Quotables 

“Systemic racism is built into every facet of our society, including sexual and reproductive health.” (Simpson) 

“As devastating as that outcome would be, it’s important to keep in mind that Roe never fully protected black women — or poor women or so many others in this country. That’s because Roe ensured the right to abortion without ensuring that people could get an abortion.” (Simpson) 

“For more provided people, these questions are rarely a deterrent. But for many women of color and poor people, they are major obstacles. That’s how white supremacy works.” (Simpson) 

“On top of that, women of color in states with restrictive abortion laws often have limited access to health care generally and a lack of choices for effective birth control.” (Simpson) 

“These are compact problems, and they will require complex solutions. As such, we can’t afford to focus on our sexual and reproductive lives with single-issue lens.” (Simpson) 

1 thought on “RAB Source Entry 2 – Nyazia B”

1. SUMMARY:

1.    Words left out here:  this heyday are major obstacles

2.    There is a MI in here; please re-read and get one more MI into your summary from this part:  

it’s important to keep in mind that Roe never fully protected Black women — or poor women or so many others in this country. That’s because Roe ensured the right to abortion without ensuring that people could actually get an abortion. (my itals) People seeking abortions in America must consider: Do I have the money? How far is the nearest clinic, and can I get there? Can I take off work? Will I be safe walking into the clinic? For more privileged people, these questions are rarely a deterrent. But for many women of color and poor people, they are major obstacles. That’s how white supremacy works.

3.    Scrutinize the words of the title – What is the MI there? – Simpson emphasizes this point again at the end of her piece.

Reflection:

I think this is important when she says: What we need is a culture shift. Can you reflection on those words? What does she mean? How would this happen? ADD YOUR OWN THINKING ON THIS POINT. 

Clarify: most women of color we live in poverty and do not get the same privilege white people do.  WHAT privilges do you mean? Reflect on the privilege of having an abortion and comment on that specifically! 

I see you are copying me here: Systemic racism regarding women reproductive healthcare  NOW ADD your own ideas on systemic racism for reproductive rights of black women!  THINK and ADD your own ideas!!!

Simpson writes: These are compact problems, and they will require complex solutions. SO — What solution do you Nyazia see that could help this problem? GIVE YOUR OWN THOUGHTS as a young black women.

Rhet Analysis

What is the GENRE? You don’t say!

What is the change she wants to see?

Otherwise – good on Rhet ANalysis