RAB source Entry 1 – Kayla

My research question is: How do abortion laws affect women’s rights? I chose this topic because as young women, we deserve the right to terminate our pregnancies if we decide to. With the current laws regarding Abortions, women struggle with legally aborting their pregnancy Although abortions have been legal under New York state laws Other states such as Alabama and Illinois aren’t so lucky. This topic is important to me because men have trapped friends of mine into having babies. I know firsthand the struggle and the pain of making a decision and imagine having your choice taken away from you. I want to find out why our men are making laws regarding the female body and why our rights are being taken away from us.

Part 1 – MLA citation

Totenberg, Nina, and Sarah McCammon. “Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Ending Right to Abortion Upheld for Decades.” NPR, 24 June 2022. NPR, https://www.npr.org/2022/06/24/1102305878/supreme-court-abortion-roe-v-wade-decision-overturn.

part 2 summary

In the article “Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, ending right to abortion upheld for decades” by Nina Totenberg & Sarah McCammon, Conveys the harsh realities of the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to officially reverse Roe v. Wade, which declared that the constitutional right to abortion no longer exists. Firstly Samuel Alito a Associate Justice of the Supreme Court wrote to the court majority stating that the 1973 Roe ruling and subsequent high court decisions announcing that Roe was “egregiously wrong” and “damaging.” abortion rights would be rolled back in nearly half of the states immediately, with more restrictions likely to follow. The court’s decision, according to dissenting Justices Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, and Elena Kagan, will mean that today’s youth will have fewer rights than their mothers and grandmothers. In fact, they stated that women have no rights from the moment they are fertilized. The state has the authority to force women to carry a pregnancy to full term even if they aren’t financially ready.

Reflection – I strongly agree with this article because with Roe v Wade being overturned this sets women’s rights so far back. This ultimately makes it so much harder for women to have options when pregnant. imagine traveling far distances to terminate your pregnancy risking criminal charges and incarnation because the state you live in doesn’t allow abortions. I wouldn’t know what to do if I couldn’t have access to healthcare. I think this is a human rights violation we should make our own choices as human beings.

Rhetorical Analysis – This article is a special series written by Nina Totenberg & Sarah McCammon the intended audience is Young women, along with lawmakers. The purpose of writing this is to give insight on how women struggle with abortion laws and how this affects women’s rights. the tone is informative McCammon quotes Justice Samuel Alito who eagerly announces to the court that Roe was “egregiously wrong” and “damaging.” through the article Totenberg & McCammon give statistics and direct quotes from lawmakers and judges. She also debriefs and breaks down how Roe v Wade actually affects women’s rights and what this means for us to come by showcasing the Interstate enforcement battles. Sarah McCammon is a National Political Correspondent for NPR and co-host of the NPR Politics Podcast. Her work focuses on political, social, and cultural.

Notable Quotables –

“They said that the court decision means that “young women today will come of age with fewer rights than their mothers and grandmothers.”

Justice Samuel Alito said that the 1973 Roe ruling and repeated subsequent high court decisions reaffirming Roe “must be overruled” because they were “egregiously wrong,” the arguments “exceptionally weak” and so “damaging” that they amounted to “an abuse of judicial authority.”