Writing task mentor quote – Abdullah

“You have 2 months left, don’t throw these Alastair 4 years away because you didn’t pass one class, do your work” 

These words were said to me by my counselor. My counselor called me to her office to talk to me about my grades. I was failing 3 classes at that time and my counselor wasn’t surprised at least because this has happened a lot but I always persevered and would pass all classes. So this time when she called me to her office, she was serious because graduation was 2 months and she was not happy with my performance. I said to her the say old thing I would always say “don’t worry, I always pass in the end” 

I ended up passing my classes. On the day we got our cap and gowns, I went to her office twice just so I could tell her thank you for putting up with me. She wasn’t in her office and that kinda bummed me out until I was leaving, I saw her entering back inside the school and I ran to her. We talked and she said “see you at the graduation” at that point I felt so accomplished. Good moment.  

2 thoughts on “Writing task mentor quote – Abdullah”

1. Abdullah:
    Is this a typo? these Alastair 4 years — What does that mean?

Can you reflect harder on yourself as a student? I wonder if you have really changed. Or do you think you will just “graduate” in college as you say you always have. You make it seem like pulling yourself out of a failing situation was so easy. If it was so easy, why were you in that position?

Can you tell me what you were doing when she called you in? How did you feel when she called you in? Describe this office — what did it look like? Was this a place you were often called to? Describe yourself coming in to the office, what were your inner thoughts. Show me more dialogue or thoughts.

Describe this counselor: Name? Did you have a special relationship with her? Why was it so important to you that you went to her on Cap and Gown day? Why did her words matter to you? What was special about this counselor.

You: I ended up passing my classes. SO WHAT happened in between this office visit and your graduation? Did you change? Did your attitude toward school change? Were you afraid of not graduating? What motivated you? What strategies did you use to turn failing to graduating?

You: On the day we got our cap and gowns, I went to her office twice just so I could tell her thank you for putting up with me. She wasn’t in her office and that kinda bummed me out until I was leaving, I saw her entering back inside the school and I ran to her. — THis is good, but you can you develop this more into a scene. THINK about Malcolm X and the night guards…..MX gives great detail and builds suspense.

Describe that empty office and your exact feelings when you noticed no one there. Don’t just say “bummed.” What was your inner thought as you left without see the counselor? YOu write that you found her: back inside the school — WHERE exactly? Then can you describe your feelings when you bumped into her? NEED dialogue: What was the exact dialogue, words you said, then what she said.