Writing Task Mentor Quote Jason Abreu

“Mr. Abreu, you are an amazing student, but you are lazy and need to put more effort into your schoolwork. “- Mr. Villages 

I remember walking into the light blue building feeling the frigid air of the ac hit me in the face on the way in. As I walked through the long hallways of Inwood early college, I was pulled aside by my favorite 9th grade teacher Mr. Villages. He sat me down and said, “Listen Jason, you are an amazing student, but you are lazy and need to put more effort into your schoolwork.” At the time I did not think much of what he had told me. 

Two years passed and the quote still sat in the back of my mind. Why did he tell me this, was it to better myself or was it to put me down? This thought put me on the path to greatness, I wanted to prove to myself and him that I was not lazy and that my schoolwork was outstanding. With this I was able to become a co-teacher for the CTE (Career Technical Education) program and was invited by intel to do a summer internship. 

3 thoughts on “Writing Task Mentor Quote Jason Abreu”

1. You have a good beginning, but it’s only the seed of your essay. Should you choose to develop this HW, you can imrpove by adding descriptive scenes and dialogue. THink about the texts we are reading and how those writers create pictures and dialogue.

You: I was pulled aside by my favorite 9th grade teacher Mr. Villages. He sat me down — SO Where was this exactly, in the hallway, Mr. V’s office, classroom. Describe with more details the setting / the place where this convo happened. Was it spring or fall? — THEN how did you reply back to Mr. V? What were his eact words and your exact words. SHOW me by writing a dialogue.

ALSO — why was he saying this to you? Were you failing his class?

What were your habits/attitude/ toward school at that 9th grade time? Why did he say you were amazing but not doing well? What kidn of student were you in 9th grade? Why did Mr. V believe in you, say you were amazing, but say you were not doing well?

YOu write two years later. SO SHOW ME — What exact events triggered Mr. V’s words to echo in your mind? AND what changes did you make since 9th grade? What obstacles were you facing? What strategies did you use to overcome. Remember strategies of F Douglass to learn to read. Exact steps to show your progress.

YOU: I was able to become a co-teacher for the CTE (Career Technical Education) program and was invited by intel to do a summer internship.  THIS IS great! How did this opportunity to be co-teacher come about? DETAILS SHOW me how this came to be. THen again for the internship, show me how that happened, what steps you took to get that internship, what was the experiecne of interning like?

This could form the beginning of a good essay, but you need to work on writing like a writer. So study what our writers do in the texts we read.

Think about the events in order that led to you getting that Internship.

9th grade talk with Mr. V
    CHANGES you made in your student habits
    Events that triggered Mr. V words in your mind
    Getting that Co-Teacher job
    Getting that Internship

Turn each into a part of your story. Think of focusing on the events that stick out in your memory and that you want to highlight. What is the theme here? Could it be turning yourself around. From lazy to amazing! THat might be idea for a title!