Mentor Text Analysis – Joshua Ferdinand (updated)

Jonathan Malesic grabs his audience’s attention by introducing the problem he was noticing. That is, a third of my students were absent nearly every time, and it was usually not the same third. They didn’t even appear to be attempting. He then tells us about the research he discovered and studied. So that the audience can grasp the point he’s trying to make. Another significant thing he did was to use research to support his opinions or claims. There is some use of statistics, but he also makes use of experts on his topic to strengthen his point. He claims that the pandemic made college more difficult for students.

He incorporates narrative by connecting events to form his opinion, such as stating that in March 2020, virtually all higher education in the United States will go remote overnight. To make it through, faculty members relaxed their expectations and lowered their quality expectations. This means that he has seen schools relax and take a more relaxed approach to remote learning and allowing their students to graduate. Mr. Malesic is demonstrating to me that colleges are not safe. This is due to the fact that some students thrive on the flexibility and freedom provided by Covid-era policies. Jeffrey Vancil, a sophomore at the University of Texas at Dallas, said that after his classes became more in-person, he had to cut back on his extracurricular activities, and his grades suffered as a result.

Mr. Malesic’s opinion piece is approximately 2,000 words long and may be 5 pages long. Students in college or thinking about going to college are the intended audience for this piece. What to remember and how to understand the situation now that the pandemic has ended. Mr. Malesic’s text concludes with him saying “Professors must understand that caring for students entails wanting to see them succeed. This includes setting high expectations for students and assisting them in exceeding them, as well as resisting the temptation to expand remote learning.” I believe the message spreading is that students and professors should both understand what the pandemic did and how it affected them. They should share advice and patience with one another.

I’d instead try to mimic his style so that people would understand my idea as well as I can understand his. I believe the quantity of information he used can reflect the quantity I will be using, since it is crucial to use research to back up the subject or concern you’re attempting to address in an Op-Ed, but not to the point where it turns into an educative piece.Finally, rather than introducing my solution in the middle of my article, I’d would like end with it. This will end up making my writing more comprehensible and, generally speaking, easier to evaluate.

1 thought on “Mentor Text Analysis – Joshua Ferdinand (updated)”

1. No–This is not the HW that was assigned. Please read the instructions. You are to choose a mentor text from the list of your chosen genre. Because you are missing class, you do not know what the assignment is. This is a problem.

ALSO, Big Writing Problem: You cannot have long blocks of text. You must make paragraph breaks! We worked on Paragraph breaks in Unit One.