Free access to knowledge?

After the creation of the Internet, information was much easier to obtain now than in the past. However, not every information source is free as shown by the JSTOR articles where users must pay a fee to access them. What some people might not know is that users actually pay twice to access information in the JSTOR. First, government agencies and foundations fund these articles through research grants and second is the user fee. If these articles are paid already, then why do people have to pay again just to access hem? Also, most of the articles’ fees do not go towards the authors; instead the people in charge of maintaining JSTOR keep the profits. The contents of these articles should be free and available to the public as the authors want it to be. Another thing is that the copyright of most these articles have passed their end dates; obviously, it should be free to the public domain already. Why should we pay for accessing information when copyrights have long passed and their authors agreeing to free access? I say that this content of knowledge on the JSTOR should be accessed freely, what do you think?

This entry was posted in assignments, blogging, LIB1201, readings and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Free access to knowledge?

1. Madi says:

Yes, I agree with Bryan these works should be available free of charge. For starters we already have paid through these government grants, which I believe comes from taxpayers money. Paying again just for access is absurd. In addition to not wanting to pay twice, one may not wish to pay for materials in which the author of the material isn’t receiving any of the profit. The money users pay for access only goes to the company that published the work, not the creator of the article(s). Also, why not make materials that have surpassed their profit time available for free. For instance, these JSTOR articles don’t seem to have any monetary value. Before this article about the articles being “stolen” and made available for free download I never heard of JSTOR. Databases like this should be made free immediately after profits are no longer being made daily, though I am unaware whether or not they still make daily profits on JSTOR.