Mapping Brooklyn:William Maldonado

The map that captured my interest the most was the map by Sharon Zukin because it didn’t really look like a map due to the fact that is wasn’t from a sky view or include different sections of a city but just simply her view while sitting in the A train at 1am. This broadened my horizon to thinking that anything in our sight is a map as long as it could be mapped out. That it doesn’t necessarily need streets to be considered a map. Sharon proved that in that drawing of her ride home the way she mapped out not only what she saw but also what she thought about what she saw.

Sharon Zukin – Naked City

20150401_104024

1 thought on “Mapping Brooklyn:William Maldonado

1. CrystalB

The map that caught you interest the most is similar to what caught my interest; the map that caught my attention was the map of a kitchen; it was about a man called Luis, he was from Puerto Rico.
    I have to agree with you that it really did not look like a typical map. The map showed details of Luis’s life. It gave a description of himself and his thoughts. The map also showed details of the specific area where he lived, whom he live with, when he moved there, the history of his neighborhood and it accounted for every item that was in his kitchen. The map told a story, and that is what made it interesting to me.
    Just like your map of Sharon’s subway ride. From looking at her map you knew every aspect of her early morning ride home on “A” train.
    These maps indicated that maps are not used for directions alone.