Gordon Parks witnessed a prisoner named Thomas Johnson who became obsessed with collecting sharp knives. He was convicted of the 1956 murder of seven-year old Ronald Wendorf in the restroom of a Sacramento movie theater, who Johnston decided to attack at random to experience a ‘thrill killing’.

They got him strapped in a gas chamber and executed him. I chose the prisoners’ photo because it had a strong impact to what it was like at San Quentin prison in 1957. The public should appreciate the photos of the park because American popular culture was overwhelmed by the romantic notions behind American criminals at the time, and it produced a seductive appeal. A cultural meaning can be found in this work it is the relationship between the photographer and the warden and the relationship between the warden and the prisoner. My best guess is that his camera’s shutter speed and aperture settings come directly from the light source. From the angle of the policeman on the same floor, the light is directed toward the camera lens to the subject.

Untitled, San Quentin, California, 1957 image via MOMA collections that I took

So, the most important element of my creation is the space between two independent groups of people.  I took liberties and added my own voice at the MOMA museum of modern art I believe about Parks’ image that he took facing the windows at the aisle where only sun comes in. Some are fades some are only shadows. The end of the light source is somewhat clear. From the worm’s eyes view to crossover the lines that employ for the shot I chose to create a low or high perspective.