7. Role Model

Photo by Freepik

The supervisor of my internship, which is also the Director, was a wonderful role model. I have always wanted to work with a non-profit organization because I feel that they care about people on a different level. Their goals are to help society and for people to live better lives.

Before I accepted my internship I did research to see what they were about, their programs, mission and I read the short bio on the Director. You can create all types of programs, however, if you do not motivate them or teach them professional values, they will not perform to their full potential. The programs at my internship are life changing as they also teach the students about personal grooming, work ethics and teamwork. All of this is done so that they can seek gainful employment.

When I first met my supervisor she had explained to me about their various programs. One of the programs train young adults who live in a housing authority in the field of construction. She also said something to me that was very memorable. It was about how they also teach them how to dress successfully for a job interview. they work with a program that donates suits to the young men to wear to interviews. I was surprised but elated to hear this as many who live in public housing can’t afford suits. Incorporating this into their program shows me how dedicated she is in helping young adults. Having a son, I know the struggles of what young males go through. My supervisor is a great role model because she inspires me to push my son and nephews into having a better life. Training is not just about going to school, you have to offer mentoring, counseling and as this internship provided, preparation for the real world.