6. Self-Evaluation

Photo by Freepik

When I first learned that we had to do an internship as part of the program I was nervous because I haven’t worked within the graphic design field for many years. However, I understand that this internship was required in order to prepare us for the real world. It made us step outside of our comfort zone because this internship was about satisfying the design needs of an organization. I learned that in order to do this you have to understand their goals and mission for the future. Once I was able to do this, I was able to visually come up with ways to help them achieve their mission. My overall experience as an intern with my organization was great because they allowed me to freely design and offer them several solutions to a problem. Graphic Design is about solutions and I learned that it is best if you come up with more than one. Each time I showed them new designs they were elated which in turn made me feel confident in my design skills. The support I received was wonderful and in the end I feel that I can tackle any design problem presented to me.

In addition, this internship journey has allowed me to learn the latest software such as WordPress and Photoshop/Illustrator techniques. I also enjoyed doing research to see the latest trends on designs for non-profit programs.