The 2nd chapter from Design for Information on relational structures and networks was a very informative read! It fully fleshed out the systems in place to understand how we visualize networks. These are usually complex things as a network can be used in so many different focuses. By helping understand the different ways we view networks, it helps understand exactly what a network is and how things relate to one another. Network science is a newer study as said in the textbook, and by understanding more about the patterns and connections of the real world, it helps us organize the massive amounts of data we are collecting in this new age of data. Visualizations are the best way to show data and information as it is the step in which we present our audience with what we have gathered, and networks and relational structures seems to be a great way of showing connections between almost anything.

This chapter has made me think of a note taking app I have recently started using called Obsidian. It allows for taking notes similar to some of the popular note taking apps, but one thing that differentiates it, is its view of nodes and paths. It can show a giant cluster when you connect your notes and it really helps understand the connections you can make between important things, its a powerful tool and anyone who wants to try it out should take a look into it!

The video was a great watch and very useful in understanding the ways we can use data visualization to help truly understand the lives of those around us and bring awareness and change to the injustices black americans face. What I really found interesting was the actual design of these visualizations, W.E.B Du Bois’ had such an artistic approach that really grabs the attention. It seems that this is such an important factor when trying to grab peoples attention whether by necessity or not, it makes the work that much more powerful and meaningful. As I have my associates in digital art and design, this presentation really spoke to me. I have also done a small speech for a class on the under representation of POC and women in STEM jobs, and I can’t believe I did not think to take a more artful approach to some of the visualizations I used to show some of the data. This has really changed the way I view visualizations and the way they should really impact people when discussing such important topics.

I thought the presentation by Yimi was very useful in terms of understanding what turns a survey in to a good and useable survey. The information reminded me of a class I took my first semester at city tech that I very much enjoyed, it was called research methods for the social sciences and behaviors. The first half of that class was introducing us to surveys and what makes a good one, and plenty of the information Yimi provided jogged my memory of that class! The focus on surveys for the school though was the real strength and I also really enjoyed the steps to conducting a survey. Actionable steps are a powerful tool as they provide a guideline of how to begin something, and I think even if you do them a little out of order or add or remove some steps to fit your situation more, having these steps really makes for better end results.