A Project Space for ID2 Interns

Week 5 – Erickson Diaz

Meirelles’ Design for Information: An Introductory to the Histories, Theories, and Best Practices Behind Effective Information Visualizations was easy to read and follow along. The graphical diagrams representing the various methods of nesting/tree information were helpful in visualizing the different methods of representing data. I gained a deeper understanding of how data can be organized, but also how things are represented to guide us towards an intended idea (i.e. the dot diagrams spacing differently in horizontal and verticals).

The reading had a nice balance between words and graphics which made it easier to follow along with the purpose of the reading.

One of the downsides of the reading, however, was that there were certain diagrams did not correlate to the reading.

1. Anne Leonhardt

Erickson,

Thank you for the feedback on the reading! I agree the strengths of the Meirelles are the interesting, arresting graphics examples and also her quite brief descriptions of the foundational ideas of information visualization. Sometimes the two don’t connect as well as they might, as you point out. I’m curious how you and other will draw on these descriptions and examples in the upcoming class project.