After re-reading chapter 2 and 3, and the short lecture from our meeting on 7/10/23, they make more sense. As I mentioned in my original response, I think the missing component was the lecture about the material and it puts much more context on the reading. After learning the author was a philosopher it makes much more sense why the textbook reads the way it does. Chapter 2 is much more readable understanding more about data and how it goes through the different types of data and what they mean, such as the differences in analogue and digital data and how they differ. Chapter 3 about the mathematical theory of data helps to understand the technical sense behind data without it’s meaning and what can happen to it. It is more about the way a computer will view data without any interpretations.

As for the mapping exercise, I added some more context in the form of more labels such as the lunchroom, and adding in some little details like tables so it is better understood exactly what is going on. I think going with the simple shapes and highlighting key elements makes it a bit more legible.