Chapter 2 is informative enough for different kinds of data. It also described the relationship between data and information. To store those data in a computer, researchers find that the binary is the most efficient, and stable for computers to store information. Information can’t be formed without data. In order to make data usable for people, data needs to be decoded, and encoded into information. Applying rules for information to make a piece of information become readable for people. Sometimes we call it syntax, sometimes we call it grammar in english. 

As a reflection, chapter 2 gives me an idea of how data actually forms in our real world. That is everything in the world is data, and my eyes are a scanner. Everything that I perceive will be decoded in my brain in order to make me understand and comprehend. If I want to share a piece of information with others, I also need to process the decoding and encoding on the computer. To organize information in my mind in certain orders, and encoding them into language, which is a channel that is well accepted, so that everybody could understand.

Chapter 3 is quite abstruse, since it applies many terminology, and theoretical, and links it to entropy, a term to measure the temperature in thermodynamics. Since information is not quantitative, and based on the definition of the previous chapter that information is made of data. In other words, the quantity of information could be controllable by controlling the amount of data. Therefore, the efficiency of encoding and transferring data could also be an evaluation of communication efficency based on the information.

As a reflection, chapter 3 talks about more technical terms that drive me confused about the topics, since I do not fully understand some of those terms. However, I still have a glance of how MTC works. The most important property for a message will be fidelity, which is what MTC could do to keep the message the same information and not interfere with others. Therefore, keeping redundancy in the channel will be critical for fidelity in the communication.