Living Learning Earning

Making Magic For Myself

As of this week I have been a part of the Walt Disney Company at Pizzafari in Animal Kingdom for 3 Months. Time has flown by, and I have learned so much about myself, other cultures and living on my own. 

This is my first experience living on my own for an extended amount of time and it has been a surprisingly pleasant adjustment.  My coworkers, roommates and new friends have made the transition very easy for me. I look forward to working at Pizzafari and making magic every day.  I have enjoyed making magic for guests very much and is most times the highlight of my shift. 

Making magic for guests can be something very small like giving a straw to save a trip to the counter and giving a cupcake for a birthday and everything in between. I believe it’s all in the little things. While on this journey I have learned to make magical moments for myself and to live in the moment. Before I got here to Orlando, I would not really do things for myself and was always worrying about things I could not control. Since moving here, I have grown out of my shell, I treat myself sometimes after a hard day at work or sometimes just for fun, I go to the parks or a resort just to walk around and it boosts my mood and makes me glad I took this leap. Participating in this program has been the best possible thing I could have done for myself. 

This program has given me the wonderful opportunity to meet people from all over the country and all over the world. I have been able to expend my knowledge on different cultures and parts of the world as we all come from different backgrounds. My location also has many college program participants, and we all have different school experiences, so it is interesting to learn about each other’s unique learning experiences. 

While there are many ups while on this journey there are some days where I am not feeling it, but I turn to my friends and create magic for myself, and it helps me power through. This journey was a leap for me and while I was nervous at first, this had been the best decision for me. I can’t wait to see what more I learn while on this journey and I’m glad I get to share it with you. 

As we say at Pizzafari and Disney’s Animal Kingdom Discovery Island, Viva Gaia

1. Prof. Karen Goodlad

I like that you are referring to this time with the WDC as a journey, it reflects your understanding that learning is a process, one that continues to change as you develop your understanding of the task, your role in the workplace, and the workplace in general.

If you learn of something that another CP’s college offers in regard to the WDWCP, please let me know.