I started the first day of training feeling like I couldn’t do it. Other than the resorts being a very busy place daily, the concierge role requires a lot of resort and theme park knowledge from rides to restaurants, technology and transportation. With my first time being to Walt Disney World May 2021 when I visited Disney’s Blizzard Beach Waterpark, I had zero knowledge on the theme parks. Yes, Disney has been my favorite channel since I was 8 but that was the only thing about Disney that I was really exposed to. I didn’t know about the parks, I just knew there was a Disney World and Land but had no idea what was there. When technology got more advanced, and I now had access to tablets with internet I wasn’t thinking about doing research because I never had faith that I would ever be near Disney or migrating from Jamaica. 

While doubting myself on the first day I was still doing good with checking in guests for the first time. My first day was very busy yet I survived the whole day and got the gist of check ins, the technology and resort knowledge. My second day was a little challenge from God as my trainer had to take the day off to take care of her dad. I was sent a former cast member of Caribbean Beach Resort which had a different training style from my trainer. In the midst of the challenge, I decided to test my knowledge on the online training modules and requested towels and linens for a guest all by myself through a program called Hotsos. The different learning style made everything a little confusing for me as it was my second day, but I adjusted to the change and on the third day went back to how my trainer taught me.

I started the week with doubts and ended with more confidence and 2 Disney “5 Keys Recognition” from my guests. Even with my FSA and trainer daily motivation that I was doing good I still had doubts in myself. With the 5 Keys Recognitions I now believe that I’m doing great for a person who just started the role and who just gained a little more knowledge on what Disney really is outside of the channel. My last day of training was today, I finally earned my ears and 2 recognitions with it. Definitely making magic!