Prof. Goodlad HMGT 1101 | Prof. Stewart HMGT 1102 | Prof. Rosen ENG 1101

Twitter thread from Hospitality Group about working long hours (Updated)

*HOSPITALITY INC. TWITTER THREAD*

For those of you choosing to join the hospitality industry I feel as if is it’s our responsibility to let you know what time you’ll be giving up.

3:11 PM . 12/12/21

Being in this industry, you have to work on holidays. You guys are young, so I want you to think about what this means for your future. As you get older and potentially start a family, you’re going to want to spend time with your family. However, working holidays means missing Christmas with the kids, and Thanksgiving with the family. No Easter egg hunts or tricks and treats.

3:13 PM . 12/12/21

Johnnycakes2632 replying to @HOSPITALITY_INC. : I wanna work as a general manager in a hotel, will it be stressful? 

HOSPITALITY INC. replying to @Johnnycakes2632: I will discuss it young grasshopper.

Hotels are open 24/7, 365. They constantly need to be run, and people constantly must swap shifts. They’re always open and someone always needs them. With that being said, when a business such as a hotel has become a necessity to certain people, you have to dedicate a lot of time to make sure it’s running smoothly. It may overwhelm some people with this particular part of the industry, especially if your goal is GM, however, others don’t find it stressful if it’s what they truly enjoy. The best advice I can give to anyone planning to join is to become a leader in your field and provide an alternative to make a change in the industry.

Read this for more info:  https://www.soegjobs.com/pros-cons-working-hospitality-industry/ 

3:20 PM . 12/12/21

Johnnycakes2632 replying to @HOSPITALITY_INC. : This helped so much

HOSPITALITY INC. replying to @Johnnycakes2632: No problem 

Astrogirl replying to @HOSPITALITY_INC. : Give us more insight into how you feel about long hours as whole and a way we can be able to make a change if we had control?

MarkGuelly replying to @Astrogirl: I’m interested in knowing that too 

HOSPITALITY INC. replying to @AstroGirl: Of course !

When you become leaders in the industry, the first change you could do is cutting down the amount of days people are working throughout the week. For example, if people had shorter work weeks, let’s say 5 days of work, with a minimal increase in hours, and are getting paid a livable wage, everyone would be happier. Right now, people are accepting these types of absurd hours, because they need the money to support their families. However, you should never have to choose between supporting your family and spending time with your families.

3:35 PM . 12/12/21

Another way is by allowing those who want to work long hours and holidays to do so and those who don’t, not to. Around holidays, the hospitality industry is certainly always booming, because people are always going to be looking for places to get away to and eat. This means that airports, hotels, and restaurants will most certainly be packed. I know that if most people had the option to, they wouldn’t work on the holidays, and places would be understaffed. However, places are already understaffed, because people are working too long and not getting paid enough. Which is why I propose giving workers more of an incentive to work on those days, and I’m sure we’ll see a shift.

3:40 PM . 12/12/21

Astrogirl replying to @HOSPITALITY_INC. : WOW thank you, I agree heavy on the 5 day work week and better wages! We definitely need those.

MarkGuelly replying to @HOSPITALITY_INC. : This is so dope to see this perspective

DannyDaChef replying to @HOSPITALITY_INC. : I don’t think the industry could survive on 5 days of work

HOSPITALITY INC. replying to @DannyDaChef: I’m not saying a hotel, restaurant, or airport should only run for 5 days out the week. What i’m saying is people should only work for 5 days a week. 

Even though I’m against long hours there are a multitude of ways to deal with long hours….. #Handy #Makingitwork

4:00 PM . 12/12/21

Meditation from time to time will help keep your mind at peace or even finding time in your busy schedule to take a jog might make you feel better and at ease.

4:10 PM . 12/12/21

Another way to deal with the social drawback of the job is having a roommate. Having someone to go home to and converse with can reduce the lack of personal connecting that you get at work. Living with someone insures that you’ll always have someone to talk to even when you’ve just spent 12 hours or 13 hours of your day in a kitchen cooking.

Take a look at this article for more ideas on how to deal with the hours: https://blog.typsy.com/5-tips-to-handle-long-hours-as-a-chef 

4:20 PM . 12/12/21

Sniperman replying to @HOSPITALITY_INC. : Great solutions to a really big and relevant issue

Astrogirl replying to @HOSPITALITY_INC. :

Image result for gif

HOSPITALITY INC. replying to @Astrogirl: LOL

HOSPITALITY INC. replying to Sniperman: For sure only trying to help students make an informative decision

I’m not trying to tell people to change their dreams, because they’re going to have to work too hard. All I want to do is inform people of what their dream is, and the hardships they are going to face getting there that I don’t believe should be faced. I want the future leaders of our industry to know what changes we need so they can be the ones to make that change.

5:00 PM . 12/12/21

DannyDaChef replying to HOSPITALITY_INC. :

Image result for happy GIF

Johnnycakes2632 replying to @HOSPITALITY_INC. : Facccts!!!

I implore you guys to genuinely look into the things you don’t like about our industry and come up with a way to fix it. You are the future of hospitality and sooner or later you will be the leaders. #DONTFAILNOW

5:10 PM . 12/12/21

1. Jody R. Rosen

This was a fun read, Tyrah! This is a Twitter conversation than a Twitter thread, which is when the author tweets several consecutive tweets on a given subject. People can reply to any individual tweets, but the thread itself is from the one author.

Twitter threads usually have links out to resources or things they reference, use hashtags, mention other accounts on Twitter all as ways to interconnect that person’s ideas with others. Think about how that works with logos, pathos, ethos, like we discussed in class!

A Twitter conversation, on the other hand, has many voices and each has different interests, different purposes, and aren’t all addressing the same subject or audience. You as the OP (original poster) would still want to show your authority, maybe some empathy, as you continue to educate others about your topic.

For either, you would want to link out, use more hashtags, mention relevant Twitter accounts especially if some of your resources are on Twitter. Let me know if you have any questions.