Prof. Goodlad HMGT 1101 | Prof. Stewart HMGT 1102 | Prof. Rosen ENG 1101

Another research brainstorm

In class on Tuesday, someone asked if the topic for your research needs to be controversial. I said no, but that isn’t entirely right–it isn’t entirely wrong either.

We’re using the Declaration of Independence as a text to get us to think about a topic we would stand up for, so your topic has to be controversial, right? Well, here’s how I think of it:

Imagine you’re suddenly in charge of a kitchen. You have been waiting for this opportunity for a while, and you have some big ideas you want to put into action. One of them is to use only food grown locally–within 200 miles. Does that sound controversial? You have great reasons–it keeps jobs local, it lets you get to know the farmers supplying your food, it has a much smaller environmental impact, there’s less taste and nutritional loss because it goes from farm to you much faster, among other benefits. Who could argue with that? Well, whoever does the budget for said kitchen might have something to say about it. But the idea itself isn’t controversial. Asking a research question like “why should I buy locally grown foods?” will give you lots of great information, and maybe even some you could use in conversation with whomever does the budget.

So I ask you again like last week to think about something that is important to you, something that you wish you had the power to do–or maybe even really do have the power to do–in the field of hospitality, whether as a current student, in your current or next few jobs, or even in your dream job. As you do this work, keep Alison C. Witte’s “Research Starts with Answers” in mind.

In your comment:

1. Make a big list of possible ideas–one of these ideas will spark something for you, and whatever you cast aside might spark someone else’s idea.
  2. Choose two that you could imagine working on and for each
    1. write about what interests you about it, what you know about it already, whether you think it is controversial or not, what the controversy is as you currently understand it if there are any.
    2. Write about where would you go to learn more.
    3. Who would want to know more about this topic?
    4. What are some keywords or search terms you would use to find information or resources about it?

1. Tyrah George

1) Healthier food products
    2) shorter working hours
    3) Equal Pay
    4) Themed food

One I could Imagine working on is shorter working hours, I brought it up because in this industry you typically have to work long hours and be away from your family. I don’t think making hours shorter is really controversial, however some people argue that this industry requires a lot of time and attention to maintain and I agree and a quick solution would just be hire more people, but restaurants don’t wanna spend that kind of money on workers. To learn more about this information I would read a book or article written by a former chef or hospitality professional and some terms I would search for are “long hours in hospitality” ” jobs with graveyard shifts” and so on.

Another one I can imagine working on is equal pay this is important because in this industry you find that a lot of men get paid more than women which is ridiculous to me in the sense that women are the original cookers as sexist as that may sound. If I wanted to learn more about equal pay I could always take a business course or read a textbook on business. some terms I might search up are “equal rights at work” and “fair pay for women”

• Jody R. Rosen

The topic of shorter working hours is so interesting! I keep seeing more about the 4-day work week, but how would that work in the food or tourism industry. Lots of industries have jobs with very long shifts, and I wonder if there are health-focused sources that would help you find out more about why shorter shifts would be beneficial. Higher pay also factors in, because if you worked shorter shifts and made less money, what would you do to make enough salary? So looking at the related topics of $15 minimum wage, the ways restaurants work around minimum wage, and pay equity could all be useful.

2. Jeffrey Vegas

1. one type of cuisine
    2. local foods
    3. fresh
    4. high quality
    One thing that I would choose is focus on fresh. I feel like this topic is very controversial because there has been a strive for this throughout the years like indoor gardens, rooftop gardens, etc. But what about the foreign ingredients? the foreign ingredient have to be frozen and handled by air. I will strive to make a environment that can be suitable for foreign ingredients. To learn more I would try to get advice from farmers and people who grow the ingredients people who like to know more are people who have their own rooftop garden. some keywords that are helpful is ”sustainable”, and “preservable”.
    Another thing that I would strive for is one type of cuisine. the way I would strive for this is by staying true to the cuisine and with just a little added twist with my preferences. I would try to do this bye going to the country of origin and learning the cuisine there. people who would like to do this is unexperienced chefs who want. to get more in touch with their favorite cuisines. Some words that I would use to help is “Enjoyable”, “true”, and “exceptional”

• Jody R. Rosen

The sustainability angle is an important one, as is freshness. But it’s important not to overlook the draw of the exotic ingredient. Are those ingredients preservable, and if so, at what financial cost and what cost to the flavor/quality of the ingredient.

In terms of your second topic, I don’t think that “enjoyable,” “true,” or “exceptional” will help as search terms themselves. If you were looking for a particular cuisine, the term “authentic” might help–but it’s also a fraught term because who can say what exactly authentic is, and is it the ingredients or the method, etc. Interesting, right?

• Jeffrey Vegas

I agree, authentic is a way better word to what I was trying to say in this paragraph. In addition I would like to add on is probably “high end” ” impactful”

3. ia Macharashvili

– Food waste
    – Good quality poultry
    – fresh products
    – One thing I would like to focus on is food waste. Food waste is a major issue today, 40% of food is wasted yearly. Food establishments and us individuals can impact these numbers significantly if making the right choices. Food that is wasted has several environmental, financial, and social impacts. Commercial and industrial businesses, as well as we, the customers, are responsible. Therefore I consider this a controversial topic.
    – I would use Citytech Library resources to gather ideas as well as in government and educational websites.
    – I feel like people who don’t know much about this topic and how it affects the planet we live on, would want to know more about it.
    – keywords:” Food waste” or “The impact of food waste”