advice from my friends I am the type of person who worries a lot, and stays worried most of the time. What can I do?

Advice from Linda:
You can’t just stop worrying. Worrying has been a huge positive in my life.
There is lots of evidence that worriers are better prepared for life’s challenges and so tend to do better in the long run. I wouldn’t give it up at all.
But, it is possible to live better with worry. Mediation and mindfulness (tons of articles and books on how), even for just 10 minutes a day, makes a huge difference. There you learn to worry without fear for one thing.
Estimates I’ve seen of personality types suggests there might be about 10% of the population that does what we do. That seven hundred million people on the planet presently. You’re in good company.
From Jeny
Keep on telling this to yourself. I read this quote somewhere and kept it saved on my phone to remind myself – ‘Worry is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but, takes you nowhere.’
Divert your mind
Detach yourself from the chain of thoughts that worry you. Go out. Do something. Keep yourself busy.
Talk it out
This works for a lot of people. Talk to somebody who really understands you. If they are unavailable, get online. There are many anxiety forums where people are there to listen.
Take a break from your schedule
Get a holiday with your family, your friends or just tour a new city alone. You will return rejuvenated.
Write a journal
I experienced that writing your worries gives better clarity, reduces the convolution in your head and decreases the frequency of worrisome thoughts.
Watch something motivating
A good Ted talk, inspiring movie, or video sometimes gives us the confidence and courage to do something, moving past our worries.
All in all, don’t take life that seriously. Remember that you have only one life to live. It’s almost no use wasting it over a lot of things we worry about. Breathe. It will get better.

3 thoughts on “advice from my friends I am the type of person who worries a lot, and stays worried most of the time. What can I do?”

1. Im like that too but I’ve learned that worrying gets me nervous and only makes things worse. Sometimes we have to try our best and just let things be, no point in worrying! And adding more stress to the situation.

2. I agree as well I’m in a constant state of worry, about grades, my future and family. The 1st and 5th suggestion which were to divert your mind or watch something motivational. Actually helps a lot.

3. I used to be like you; Always worried about EVERYTHING. But sometimes worrying too much can be a little stressful ; and you get no benefit from it. However, what you do get is headaches, anxiety attacks, you overthink things, and before you know it you find yourself worrying about a NEW situation. Personally, worrying too much brings too much stress, and sometimes it only adds on more stress and more stress. I know it sounds cliche but I would recommend keeping a small journal; and write what worries you. Try not to overthink the situation and always think that no matter what the issue or situation it is; theres always a solution.