Hall English 1101 Fall 2020

A Talk To Teachers

In James Baldwin’s speech, he wants to show readers that the history that White American teach or are taught, are based on myths; it falsifies the truth and tries to paint them as saviors. These lies are taught to black children to oppress them so that they can remain as mules for white people. When James Baldwin describes the world as large, he is explains that it is bigger than what White Americans show. The lies that they tell are a small portion to a bigger picture. When you start to unpack all of those lies, you start to see how big everything is in actuality, whether it be beautiful or terrible.

When Baldwin used the term “beautiful” to describe American history, I was a bit confused because I thought that there wasn’t anything “beautiful” about it, but when I took a moment to think about what he meant by it, I realized the meaning he was trying to portray. American history involves more about black people then some would like to admit. Black people have contributed so many amazing ideas, inventions-whatever it may be- to society, and that’s what makes it beautiful. But the part that is terrible is how they try to erase that and how they dehumanize black people. They make it seem as if we’re the animals.

Black history is pivotal in learning the truth of American history and I wish that schools would stop trying to erase it or taint it with lies to make white people seen as heroes. It’s disgusting to say the least. The fact that when we were kids we were taught how George Washington had teeth made of wood when in reality it was teeth of slaves that were used to make his dentures. False information like this needs to be dismantled from the curriculum, and the actual truth of this country’s history needs to be taught.

1. Carrie Hall

This is an incredible response. Totally agree. The next project is a research project, and our job now is to figure out what aspect of black American history you would like to research (you can research other things too, but this seems to be where your interest lies.)