Family Separation At the Border 

Separation at the border has been a hash action taken towards undocumented families. Having these parents and children go through massive emotional pain. By not having one another by their side through what must seem a scary process of being detained at the border. This is why we as high schoolers are at the age to make a difference. Help spread awareness throughout our community by using every type of platform we have to. Which can lead to making a change for these undocumented families at the border.

No children should go through these detained processes without their parents. Their minors don’t know what’s happening. Having them pulled apart from their loved ones. Also being held in tents with strange people that they don’t even know. Having no sort of communication with their parents. Neither their parents have any type of information on their children’s whereabouts. Which only creates pain for these families.

As shown from these pictures we can realize that there needs to be justice made for these undocumented families. There’s no need to separate undocumented families. There’s no type of benefit that the United States government gets out of this action. This only caused emotional problems for both parents and children. When these families travel a risky path to get to the U.S. from their home countries. Just to have an opportunity to give their kids a better future.

Artist Statement:

What is the current situation for undocumented families crossing the United States with children? I have always been interested in this topic since I first saw a video in the media of how undocumented children would have to represent themselves at court for entering illegally. This caught my attention immediately because first children are minors that shouldn’t be facing any type of illegal issues alone. Most importantly when they have their parents that they could be with and face situations like these together instead of apart. However, I didn’t actually ever really have the opportunity to actually go more in-depth with this situation and research more about it. This is where my inspiration came from because I have always had that in my mind. Until I was able to actually write about something I wanted and what seemed important to me. 

However, picking the genre was a little hard at first. Mostly because there are multiple various genres to choose from. Although I was able to make a choice by putting myself in my audience mentally. Meaning I had to think as a high schooler and think what type of genre would they most likely pay more attention to. Then I concluded by making a video or a teen magazine. Both actually were good genres to make but I finally chose a teen magazine. I thought it would catch my audience’s attention by reading and viewing images of what I’m writing. Which is my purpose as a writer towards my high school audience. Where I choose this audience because I felt like there at the age enough to understand the injustice being made towards these undocumented families when separating them. Also, they have the power to spread more awareness of these undocumented families’ situation. Finally, my purpose in my writing piece was to show and explain what actually happens to these undocumented families at the border. To be able to help our community to come together and make a change for these undocumented families.

This is why I included three images. Although at first, I was only going to put one and write a long paragraph. However, I thought why don’t I show what I’m writing instead of just plan writing. I started to think from my audience’s point of view and see a page with only one picture and a whole lot of words, which would seem a little boring and not interesting to read. This is why the images I included in my teen magazine are to grab my audience’s attention. Like the saying says “ a picture is worth 1000 words”. Finally, the pictures I included also fit perfectly in my writing because it backs up all the information I researched and wrote about.

Lastly, going back to my work I am glad to have been able to write what was most important. Mainly not to sound repetitive from Unit 2. Although it was hard to have gathered all of the information from unit 2 and be able to do my teen magazine for unit 3. Mostly because it’s a lot of information and in my perspective, everything seemed important. Which was hard not to include certain things.   Â