ADV1100 Graphic Design Principles 1

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Assignment #2 Aural Topographies: Mash Up Prep

Jenna Spevack
    Participant

Mario: Yes, I would say so. I gentle movement of the wavy lines reminds me of slow whirlpool. There is some agitation here, due to the central focal point, but I think when developed further or with iterations, it will have a feeling of a slow, drawn out rhythm. This exercise was to create thumbnails, so you need to have about 6 of each. Keep working, or as I suggested earlier, chop this drawing up into smaller pieces to achieve a variety of pattern pieces.

Vicky

I enjoyed looking at your work because while we’re focusing on rhythm, you still are able to tell are story or draw a picture with lines and curves that make what I’m looking at identifiable. I’m able to see how the rhythm corresponds to that because the lines and the shapes are able to draw emotion in the picture. For example, you second picture shows that there’s a lot of constant flow in the first image at the top left corner. It’s also very organic (:

tiffanyaustin
    Participant

Lok I like your staccato images, the third one is my favorite, I can visual see the rhythm of the music . There is an array of variety among your pieces also. Although they are all different (composition wise) I feel that they share the same rhythm

Ryan Samaroo
    Participant

Yuliya – Viewing you thumbnails was very clean. Gave me a sense of music you were creating your designs for. Like the contrast with the shades of pencil markings. In your legato sketches it has creative designs but there are sum that I thought the white space could be filled in.

Jessica – Nice designs. Got a sense of sound waves from some of your thumbnails. Felt that some of your designs can be worked on but has a nice pattern and rhythm.

Anna – I like the creative process of the patterns. I like your staccato to me it’s simple and has rhythm, I could sense that the song you were listening to was low tempo without even knowing the song.

I feel like such a derp for not being able to keep up with everyones comments. The amount of reading that I’ve done s nice the class started is more than I normally do in a week -__- but thank you to all you guys that crit’d my work! :3

Jenna Spevack
    Participant

Ryan, If your replies do not contain the following they will not count toward your grade:

1. Clear identification of student whose work you are replying to and which pattern you are referring to.
    (ie: Mario: the pattern in the upper-left corner is a successful visualization of legato rhythm, because… )

2. A clear statement about which patterns are successful AND WHY THEY ARE SUCCESSFUL

3. A clear statement about which patterns are not successful AND WHY THEY ARE NOT SUCCESSFUL

4. Clear and logical use of the vocabulary: Line, Rhythm, Repetition, Monotony, Variety, Pattern, Movement

=)

Jenna Spevack
    Participant

Vicky, you are doing great. Thanks for contributing! Excellent work!

JettoMaku
    Participant

Wanda – Good variety of patterns used. I like how you use swirls and loops. Left side Third down from dsc_08341 is my favorite. The swirly-loop as waves and curvy line as steady water.

Anna

I love your legato drawings. Although, the second one in the first picture is a little interesting because even though there’s a flowing rhythm expressed in the curves, there are dashed lines around it. When I think of dashed lines I think of something that is inconsistent. But the rest of your drawings are very lovely because they seem to be continuously going even beyond the borders you’ve made. There’s a lot of variety to it.

Errol

Anna I like the way your staccato is simple and elegant and has a natural flow to it like the music didn’t have a upbeat tempo or a sudden spike in sound

Lisa Chan

Sorry mines a bit late, had trouble with my scanner.

tiffanyaustin
    Participant

Vicky I feel that your second legato piece is the most meaningful. It reminds me of a flowing river, however when I first looked at it I thought it was a moving keyboard. Your use of lines and repetition contributed greatly to the movement in your pieces

KarenR
    Participant

Yuliya- Your Stacato designs are great they are very edgy, and almost scream out to the viewer. You have a very unique sense of style when you draw, I have noticed. On the other hand your Legato designs remind me of a DNA strand (the first one on the last row) but it is very interesting how your incorporate simple organic shapes with music. Lovely.

MichaelG

Anna: I love that your designs have a natural flow to flow and that it is easy to tell which are Staccato and which are Legato. Great use of your lines and repetition! Great Job

Oscar Alberto
    Participant

Xuxa, i loved your legato thumbnails. i thought they were very successful because they all have a nice flow. My eyes would just drift away as i focus on them. they had a nice rhythm and there was a lot of versatility. On the other hand i think you could have done a lot better with the staccato by making the lines sharper and shorter, but besides that i think you did a wonderful job =D

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.