Homework 1

richrad chance

Deas McNeil, the Barber, from the photo gallery Harlem USA by Dawoud Bey. I pretty much choice this photographer because almost all his subjects are people. i always like pictures that have people in them because i would play the “guess their occupation” game or give the people in the photo a background story.another thing that attracted me to this pacific photographer was the setting. i lived in Harlem for a while so its kinda cool to look at familiar areas. i could of pick any of the photos in the this photographers gallery but the one that stood out more and had most elements of line, contrast of light and shadow.

The photo has a lot to look at, there is a mirror that reflect a image back. the shapes on the wall is kinda like a poke a dot pattern. the hair products the sprays, gels and greases are all in lined, not in a specific order but is organized. There arent that much lines that jump out at me but the edges of the objects in the shop. the picture is in black and white but you are still able to see how the light affects things in the picture.there is a big focus of light on the barber and the rest of the barber shop is much more darker, i look at the mirror and it shows a dark hallway.the focus point is the barber,like most pictures by Mr Bey, his subjects are people and the barber looks more serious than ready to take a picture.

http://dawoudbey.net/index.php/photographs/harlem-usa/

This entry was posted in HW1-photo description. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Homework 1

1. rmichals says:

I agree with you that the barber’s white shirt contrasts both with his dark skin and the relatively dark barber shop. This is also a really good example of the rule of thirds.