Reading Assignments–Due February 11th
1. Please finish reading Chapter 1, “Introduction” in Digital Media Primer the required text for this class.
2. Please read the following sections on the Gutenberg site at the University of Texas Ransom Center at http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/permanent/gutenberg/:
The book Before Gutenberg
The Printing of the Bible
The Spread of Printing
The Appearance of the Bible
Digital Gutenberg Project
3. Read the two articles on Gutenberg from Volume I and II the of Art in Production Journal posted on our Blackboard site in the Assignment section, week two.
4. Please read the articles on Type History and Early Alphabetss in “Level One: A Typographic foundation ” on the web site fonts.com at http://www.fonts.com/content/learning/fontology/level-1
5. Please read the article “Eight Tips for Type on the Web” at http://www.fonts.com/content/learning/fyti/typographic-tips/8-tips-for-type-on-the-web
6. Watch the video on youtube, “The History of the internet” at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hIQjrMHTv4
7. Begin thinking/reviewing about a quote you would like to visually enhance.
1.Logo History Report assigned last week due February 11th.
2. Personal Logo Design– Due February 18th. Please create a logo design concept for your own name, one that you feels reflects your goals & personality. This logo, after revisions and changes, will ultimately be uploaded onto your E-portfolio web site. Your logo design should be accompanied by a paragraphs describing the rationale behind your design. The logo design can be done on the computer or drawn by hand. Use the Before and After Article as a reference and the AIGA site shown in class. Upload your logo sketches to your openlab site page for next week’s class. If your logo was drawn/sketched by hand, take a photo using your Iphone and upload that to your site. If done on the computer, upload the file as a JPEG to your site from photoshop.
2. Please revise the short bio you wrote for homework last week. This bio should contain a description of yourself, your interest in graphic communications and your goals for your academic career at New York City College of Technology .If you have taken other courses in this major, mention then and cite key items you learned. If this is your first graphic communications course, discuss any experience you have from high school such as drawing classes or computer software classes. If you know Photoshop or any other graphic software, mention it. Also, cite sources that have influenced your career choice such as artists or designers you like, magazines or websites you find visually appealing and write about why they appeal to you. This description will be the draft of the copy for your home page on the E-portfolio site. This assignment should be no more than one or two typed paragraphs–with each paragraph being 4 or 5 sentences long. Your draft must be typed in Microsoft word or another word processing program. Please use spell check and be sure that you are paying attention to your grammar and punctuation. See examples of student bios from previous classes that are linked to on Blackboard as Sample Eportfolio sites. Please post your revised bio on the home page of your openlab site.