The Monster

While reading “Frankenstein” I came across a few moments that really stood out to me. One event was when the creature watched over the family that was exiled. At first he was saddened when he realized that he stole from them and ever since that moment he began to do good deeds for them. Almost as if wanting to redeem himself for the way that he unknowingly impacted them. After the course of watching over the family and gaining many skills, he wanted more. That was when the creature decided to courageously talk to the blind old man while his children was away. This led me to believe that there was hope for him, and he might not end up alone after all. Once the old mans family came and attacked the creature I was reminded that after all, this is a gothic novel. The family fled the scene and the creature was later attacked for saving a human. It left the creature feeling vulnerable and he began to destroy a house and lost the need to help humans. Which shows that the monster is fed up with the cruel treatment he had received, so many times. He is only looking out for himself from now on. After the many tragic events that the creature deals with Victor promised to make him a female companion. Which he later destroys and tells his creation that he will never have a companion because he is a demon. The creature responds with threats, he had also stated the following “If I cannot inspire love, then I will create fear”. Which could possibly foreshadow the ending of the novel.

This entry was posted in Response 3. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to The Monster

1. I agree with that the quote (“If I cannot inspire love, then I will create fear”) could possibly foreshadow the ending of the novel because we start to image how angry the monster is and we can expect him to initiate his revenge. Later, this foreshadow was proved because the monster started killing all the people in Victor’s family.