Response 6

Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde was a book that I enjoyed a lot. This is another gothic story with similar gothic elements from other readings we have done such as Frankenstein and Castle of Otranto. These elements go from the setting being uncanny and scary to the characters being suspicious which adds a mysterious vibe to the story. I found it weird that Dr. Jekyll was trying to create a potion to get rid of the evil within himself. I say this because how would he know he’s evil if being evil is like a subconscious thing, and it’s also can be seen in different perspectives. At the same time the potion worked by getting rid of his evil urges. To me I feel as if it wasn’t even a potion, it was more like therapy. Something that I found in the book that I have not seen before in other books is a character with split personalities. Jekyll has 2 personalities that are completely different from each other. We have Hyde which is a killer and Jekyll who is a respected professor.This makes me think of the real world and how In society people do act like themselves around people who they don’t really know which creates a persona of that person, but when they go home or are with people they know they act completely different. So does that mean that a lot of people have split personalities or is the other half of you really just who are?

This entry was posted in Response 6. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Response 6

1. marvi krifca says:

Its really true that people have a different personality at home and another personality with other people in their society.